Thursday, September 24 Early Dismissal at 11:40 for Grades 1st – 6th. AM Kindergarteners attend regular school times, no school for PM Kindergarteners.
Thank you to the Teachers, Staff, Parents and Students that participated in the Jaguar Jog! And a BIG thank you to Amy Cable and team for running such a successful event!
2. Variety Show
3. Whittier Wear Online Shop is Open
4. Yearbooks Available for Order
6. A Message From District 58 Regarding Squirrel
- Mother/Son Night – November 5th, 6:30-8:00p.m. – $25/family
- True Balance Karate – November 6th, 4:30-5:15p.m. – $10/child
- Winter Wonderland – December 6th, 11:30-1:30 – $40/family
- Cookie Decorating – December 12th, 3:00-4:30 – $25/child
- Movie Night – January 8th, 6:00-8:00p.m. – $10/child
- Cooking Class – January 21st, 7:00-10:00p.m. – $35/adult
- American Girl Tea Party – January 31st, 1:00-2:30p.m. – $25/child
- Father/Daughter night – February 25th, 6:30-8:00p.m. – $30/family
2. Variety Show
If you were unable to be at the Variety Show Kick Off meeting on Friday, no worries, we will be in contact with you to get your group picture. If your group will be practicing at Whittier on Fridays OR if your group is signed up for stage time this Friday, please meet your group in the gym. You will be given your room assignments on Friday.
Still need to edit your music…not quite sure how to do it? WavePad and Garage Band are both easy to use programs. Try them out; if you still can’t figure it out let us know! Once your music is cut email it to firstname.lastname@example.org
Questions, concerns? Email Melissa Rausch at email@example.com
3. The Whittier Wear Store is Open!
It is an online store, that is very quick and easy to use!
The store closes on September 30, so please get orders in soon. Items will be delivered to your students at school a few weeks after the store closes!
4. Whittier Elementary School Yearbooks
Go to www.TreeRing.com/validate school passcode: 1014182290971322 and order your child’s school yearbook. Included in the yearbook are two free custom pages for you to add your own memories and photos. Save 15% off the price of $14.87 if purchased by September 30.
The PTA Reflections theme for 2015-16 has been announced: “Let Your Imagination Fly…” Students may begin brainstorming and creating their projects over the summer to get a head start on Reflections for next year!
PTA Reflections welcomes all grades and abilities to explore and be involved in the arts. Students are asked to reflect the theme and create original works of art in the categories of:
- dance choreography
- film production
- music composition
- visual arts
Entries may be turned in anytime from Sept through early Nov. More specific dates will be announced next school year. Students can go to the National PTA website for specific rules.
6. A Message From District 58 Regarding Squirrel
We are thrilled so many parents have expressed interest in our upcoming parent education sessions. We look forward to reviewing SQUIRREL, as well as sharing additional information regarding standards-based grading.
Due to the positive responses we have received for attendance at our evening meetings, we havechanged venues for our evening meetings to the Herrick Middle School cafeteria to accommodate additional attendees. Our afternoon meetings will stay at the Longfellow Center.
Herrick Middle School is located at 4435 Middaugh Ave. The Longfellow Center is located at 1435 Prairie Ave.
We look forward to sharing additional information with you. Thank you for your interest and for considering joining us to learn more.
Parent Tech Support Meetings:
(Focus on SQUIRREL Portal and 1:1 in Learning)
Tuesday, Oct. 6 at 1 p.m. at Longfellow
Thursday, Oct. 8 at 6:30 p.m. at Herrick
Monday, Oct. 19 at 12:30 p.m. at Longfellow
Monday, Oct. 19 at 6:30 p.m. at Herrick
Parent Learning, Assessment, & Reporting:
(Focus on Standards-Based Learning and Longitudinal Reporting)
Tuesday, Oct. 6 at 2 p.m. at Longfellow
Thursday, Oct. 8 at 7:30 p.m. at Herrick
Monday, Oct. 19 at 1:30 p.m. at Longfellow
Monday, Oct. 19 at 7:30 p.m. at Herrick
Read FAQs related to SQUIRREL and longitudinal reporting.
Mark Your Calendars
- Thursday, September 24, 2015: Half-Day of School
- Friday, September 25, 2015: Variety Show Rehearsal 3:00-4:00
- Wednesday, September 30, 2015: Whittier Wear Store Closes
- Friday, October 2, 2015: Variety Show Rehearsal 3:00-4:00
- Tuesday, October 6, 2015 at 1:00, Longfellow: Parent Tech Support Meeting / Parent Learning and Assessment
- Thursday, October 8, 2015 at 6:30, Herrick: Parent Tech Support Meeting / Parent Learning and Assessment
- Friday, October 9, 2015: Variety Show Rehearsal 3:00-4:00
- Monday, October 12, 2015: Columbus Day, No School
- Tuesday, October 13, 2015: Teachers Institute No School
- Friday, October 16, 2015: Variety Show Rehearsal 3:00-4:00
- Monday, October 19, 2015 at 12:30, Longfellow: Parent Tech Support Meeting / Parent Learning and Assessment
- Monday, October 19, 2015 at 6:30, Herrick: Parent Tech Support Meeting / Parent Learning and Assessment
- Tuesday, October 20, 2015: General PTA Meeting
- Friday, October 23, 2015: Variety Show Rehearsal 3:00-4:00
- Tuesday, October 27, 2015: Variety Show TECH Rehearsal 3:00-6:00 MANDATORY
- Tuesday, November 3, 2015: Variety Show Stage Crew Dry Run 3:00-5:00 MANDATORY
- Wednesday, November 4, 2015: Variety Show Dress Rehearsal 3:00-6:00 MANDATORY
- Friday, November 6, 2015: Variety Show School Performance
- Thursday, November 12, 2015: Variety Show Tivoli Rehearsal 3:00-5:00 MANDATORY
- Saturday, November 14, 2015: Variety Show at the Tivoli
- Tuesday, November 24, 2015 – Friday, November 27, 2015: Thanksgiving Holiday, No School
- Tuesday, December 8, 2015: General PTA Meeting
- Monday, December 21, 2015 – Sunday, January 3, 2016: Winter Break, No School
- Monday, January 18, 2016: Martin Luther King Day, No School
- Tuesday, January 19, 2016: General PTA Meeting
- Friday, February 12, 2016: No School
- Tuesday, February 16, 2016: General PTA Meeting
- Friday, March 4, 2016: Teacher Inservice, No School
- Tuesday, March 15, 2016: General PTA Meeting
- Friday, March 25, 2016 – Sunday, April 3, 2016: Spring Break, No School
- Tuesday, April 19, 2016: General PTA Meeting
- Tuesday, May 17, 2016: General PTA Meeting
- Monday, May 30, 2016: Memorial Day, No School
- *Friday, June 3, 2016: Last Day of School
- *June 6 – June 10 possible emergency days