“How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world.” — Anne Frank, Diary of a Young Girl
The first PTA meeting of the year is TONIGHT at 7:00 p.m. in the Jaguar Jungle (aka – the gym) at Whittier. Free babysitting is provided during all monthly PTA meetings. After this meeting, plan to head over to Emmett’s in downtown Downers Grove to celebrate the start of the school year with other PTA members.
If you have not yet done so, please complete the online PTA packet to become a PTA member for 2014-2015 and to find ways to become involved.
Click on the following link to access the PTA packet: https://whittierschoolpta.org/r
We are so fortunate to have a wonderful Whittier Community. Please don’t hesitate to reach out with any question or ideas! Thank you!
Whittier School PTA Executive Committee
Co-Presidents: Rita Brezina & Valerie Hardy
Co-Vice Presidents: Tiffany Kuelthau & Debbie Levinthal
Secretary: Amy Ihde
Treasurer: Corinne Potter
Jaguar Jog – Early Registration is closed but you can still register!
Although early registration has closed, you can still register, buy raffle tickets, and pre pay for the Post Race party at Gattos. However, now we can not guarantee T shirt delivery before race day.
You can register at https://whittierschoolpta.org/jaguar-jog-registration/
Grand Raffle – We now have a separate link that you can send to friends and family just to purchase raffle tickets to win one of our amazing prizes. whittierschoolpta.org/jjtix
1st Prize – A week’s stay for four in one of many vacation club locations throughout the U.S., Mexico, and the Carribean through Travel Advantage Network – You get to choose and schedule
2nd Prize – Go Pro Camera Black addition
3rd Prize – $100 Cash
The raffle drawing will take place after the 5K on Sunday, September 28th . If you’re not going to the Jaguar Jog, buying raffle tickets is a great way to support our school.
Questions regarding the raffle: please contact Jane Hagen at email@example.com
Save the Date for our fabulous Experiences being offered at the Jog!
- Adults only Halloween Party on Saturday, October 25 at the Downers Grove Moose Lodge, featuring live music by Whittier Dad Jim Venckus and his band Brittany and the Spears! Prizes for the best costumes!!!
- Play a fun game of kickball with your friends after school on Thursday, October 9! K-3rd graders will kick it out together while the 4th-6th graders battle it out on the other side of the playground.
- Beat the winter blues by joining your friends for an ice skating party including hot cocoa! This family event will take place at the Downers Grove Ice Arena on Saturday, January 10 at 3:15pm!
- Stretch out with some yoga after a long day in school – featuring a Kids-Yoga instructor after school on Wednesday, November 12!
- And lots more. Stay tuned for details!!!
Thank you for ordering Market Day!
Thank you to everyone who ordered Market Day this month! We had many orders that were not picked up on the scheduled date. If you did not get yours, please check the freezer located in the Jaguar Jungle for your order. Also, one of our freezers disappeared over the summer so we are not able to store as many items now. If you are able to pick your order up on the scheduled date in the future, we would really appreciate it! And lastly, new order forms for October will be going out this week so check your child’s folder.
Please keep ordering Market Day, so we can keep raising money for Whittier! If you have any questions, contact Kellie Miller (812) 204-4384 or Amy Gassen (630) 971-0689.
Magazine Subscriptions to Support Whittier’s LRC
We are looking for some families to make a meaningful and easy contribution to the LRC at Whittier by sponsoring a magazine subscription. Interested families can review the list of magazines and subscription rates :
Whittier LRC Magazine List 2014 2015
Send a check to Theresa Johnson through backpack mail.Magazines provide a unique opportunity to get children interested in reading while developing the critical academic skills they’ll need in the years to come. The selection of magazines offered is wide ranging and will certainly appeal to boys and girls of all ages and interests.With parent contributions we’ll get a full year of issues in the LRC. Your help in making this valuable resource a part of our kids education is greatly appreciated!
Any questions? Please contact Theresa Johnson at theresaJohn@live.com
Everything is Awesome! Team Whittier Variety Show
Everything is AWSOME…unless you don’t get your child’s Variety Show Act Application in by THIS WEDNESDAY! Send it to school with your child or fill it out online, and don’t forget to turn in the individual permission slips as well! You can access all forms via the Variety Show page on the Whittier PTA website. https://whittierschoolpta.org/special-events/variety-show/
Friday, after school in the Jaguar Jungle is the first Variety show meeting. All emcees, stage crew, and performers are expected to attend. We will be doing a first round of pictures for the playbill, so make sure your group is lookin’ pretty! Please note…this year there are no snacks.
See you on Friday! Questions? Contact Melissa Rausch at firstname.lastname@example.org
Last call to register for Language Stars at Whittier. NEW day, classes are now on Fridays, starting Sept 19th. See flyer for more information. Any questions please contact Jen Watts at email@example.com.
Whittier Elementary School and Chess Scholars present Chess Club with Professional Instruction!
Develop your child’s interest and intellect through the royal game of Chess! Current research has shown a strong link between chess and academic performance in a variety of areas, including mathematics and language arts. Chess has been proven to enhance motivation, concentration, focus, social skills and creativity.
The Fall Session will include 8 classes beginning on Monday, October 20th and ending on Monday, December 15th, no class on November 10th (Teacher Institute Day). All students K-6th grade can participate. Please see Fall 2014 Chess Scholars Flyer Whittier school for registration and fees.
If you have any questions, please contact Mindy Werner (firstname.lastname@example.org). A paper copy of the attached flyer will also come home with your student.
Masterpiece of the Month
If you have a love of art and the world’s great artists that you would like to share with our children, please consider volunteering for Masterpiece of the Month, a program sponsored by the Whittier PTA. Each month, we venture into the classroom and expose the kids to a great painting and artist from various different genres. We try to have several parents per classroom so that the time commitment is minimal!
Please consider joining Masterpiece of the Month! Contact Kristi Maher at email@example.com.
It’s time for WRECK!
What is WRECK? It is Whittier Robotics and Engineering Club for Kids. Each week we build a Lego model using a motor, gears, and sensors, then we program it with Lego WEDO software to bring the model to life. WRECK is open to 3rd and 4th grade students and will be on Tuesday evenings, from 6:30-7:30 in the Whittier computer lab (next to the LRC). Class starts 10/7 and runs 6 weeks through 11/18 (skipping 11/11).
Please e-mail Jim Michaels at firstname.lastname@example.org to sign up. If your student was in the class last year, the models will be a repeat, but the kids are still welcome.
- Monday, September 15: Language Stars Before School Program Starts
- Tuesday, September 16: PTA Meeting and Kickoff Social
- Wednesday, September 17: Variety Show Application Due
- Thursday, September 18: Half-Day
- Friday, September 19: Variety Show Meeting 2:55-4:00
- Thursday, September 25: Picture Day
- Friday, September 26: Fun Lunch
- Sunday, September 28: Jaguar Jog
- Tuesday, October 7: Wreck Begins
- Friday, October 10: Fun Lunch
- Monday, October 13: No School, Columbus Day
- Monday, October 20: Chess Club Begins
- Friday, October 24: Fun Lunch
- Wednesday, October 29: Variety Show Tech Rehearsal
- Wednesday, November 5: Variety Show Dress Rehearsal
- Friday, November 7: School Variety Show
- Friday, November 7: Fun Lunch
- Monday, November 10: No School, Teacher Institute
- Tuesday, November 11: No School, Veterans Day
- Thursday, November 13: Tivoli Rehearsal
- Saturday, November 15: Variety Show at the Tivoli Theater
- Wednesday, November 19: Conferences, Regular School Attendance Day
- Thursday, November 20: Conferences, Regular School Attendance Day
- Friday, November 21: Fun Lunch
- Wednesday, November 26: No School
- Thursday, November 27-28: No School, Thanksgiving Break
- Friday, December 12: Fun Lunch
- December 22, 2014 – January 2, 2015: Winter Break
- Monday, January 5: Classes Resume
- Monday, January 19: No School, Martin Luther King Day
- Wednesday, February 4: Half-Day
- Wednesday, February 11: Conferences, Regular School Attendance Day
- Thursday, February 12: Conferences, Regular School Attendance Day
- Monday, February 16: No School, Presidents’ Day
- Friday, February 27: No School, Teacher Institute Day
- Monday, March 30 – Monday, April 6: No School, Spring Break
- Tuesday, April 7: Classes Resume
- Monday, May 25: No School, Memorial Day
- Wednesday, June 3: Last Day of School if no emergency days are used
- *Wednesday, June 10: Last Day of School
- *June 4-June 10 are emergency days and may be declared holidays if not needed.