- TONIGHT 9/12 – PTA Meeting in the LRC – 7pm (childcare provided)
- TOMORROW, Wednesday 9/13
- Picture Day
- Fun Lunch Ordering Window Ends
- Friday 9/15 – Whittier Spirit Day! – Show school spirit by wearing Whittier wear or blue and gold
- Sunday 9/17 – **JAGUAR JOG** 8am – 1pm
- Tuesday 9/19 – Half Day of School – 11:40am dismissal
- Jaguar Jog
- Sneak Peek: Fall Experiences
- Chess Scholars
- Girls’ Day Out in Downtown DG
- Committee Chairs NEEDED
- Wanted: Walking Club Volunteers
- After School Spanish Registration Now OPEN
- Fun Lunch
- PTA Tasks
1. Jaguar Jog
It’s finally here! Are you ready???
Jaguar Jog 2017!!
Here is a timeline for the day:
8:00 AM – Event opens – which means time to sign up for experiences!
8:30 AM – Jaguar Junior 1-Block Run (NEW THIS YEAR)
9:00 AM – 1- Mile Run/Walk
9:45 AM – 5K Run/Walk
11:00 AM – Noon – Awards ceremony and After-Party
- **NEW THIS YEAR** Teacher Dunk Tank! Have your child(ren) take a chance at dunking our teachers! 3 chances for $5 – cash only please!
- There will be food and drinks available for CASH only.
- If you are interested in volunteering please contact Val Hardy at email@example.com
We cannot wait to celebrate this awesome event with everyone! We are so thankful for our wonderful sponsors and all our volunteers for helping make this event such a success!!!
Bring your family, neighbors and friends – it’s going to be a great time!
There is still time to sign up…. CLICK HERE to register!
See you at the finish line : )
2. Sneak Peek – Fall Experiences
Take a SNEAK PEEK at the Fall Experiences available for signup at the Jaguar Jog!
How to pay for the Fall 2017 Experiences: – There are a few changes this year regarding payment, please read!
- No payment or credit card forms will be accepted at the Jaguar Jog
- You will receive an invoice for all of your experiences by backpack mail on Friday September 22nd
- Payment for all experiences is due by October 2nd. Any unpaid spots will be released and filled by the next person on the waitlist.
- Check Payment– Please place your check in an envelope labeled “Whittier PTA Experiences” and send it with your student to school.
- Credit Card Payment– A credit card sheet will be attached to the invoice. In addition, Lori Achilles will be available before and after school September 25th –September 29th with the swipe machine for credit card payment. Please look for her by the primary doors from 8:15- 8:25am and 2:45-2:55pm.
- Experiences that are not filled at the Jaguar Jog will be available for online registration. Payment is due at the time of online registration (credit card only). Please call Michelle (331) 625-9932 or Carla (331) 481-1618 if you have any issues with online access or need to use another form of payment.
3. Chess Scholars
The fall session of after-school chess starts Monday, Oct. 2! Classes are held immediately after school at Whittier. For all the information to sign up CLICK HERE for the flier. Please register by Friday, Sep. 22 for the early bird price of $121!
4. Girls’ Day Out in Downtown DG
Save the date for the Girls’ Day Out shopping event in downtown Downers Grove on September 28th! Shop at participating businesses between 10am – 8pm and they will give back 10% to DG school PTA’s! CLICK HERE for the flier for more information, and look for the printable HALL PASS in next week’s Weekly to use each time you shop!
5. Committee Chairs NEEDED
Whittier PTA is still in need for volunteers to chair Chess Scholars and Destination Imagination for the 2017/18 school year. Below you’ll find a brief description on what is required by offering to fill this role. Email Rachel Carrero at firstname.lastname@example.org if interested or if you have any questions. Thank you so much for your consideration!
- Communicate with Chess Scholars at the beginning of the school year to approve the dates with Mr. Krugman
- Make sure paper fliers are sent weeks before a new session
- Obtain the digital flier from Chess Scholars and email it to the Whittier Weekly with a blurb several weeks before the start date for each session
- Make sure a parent volunteer is present for each Monday and explain to call home if any student enrolled does not show up
- Provide an updated roster before the start of each session to the school office
- Verify that Chess Scholars is aware that Whittier does not allow food, tuition should not include food
- Get the word out about the DI season, dates & tournaments
- Register the teams with DI organization, distribute program materials, and communicate any information regarding tournaments throughout the season
- Be a liaison between team managers and the DI organization
6. Wanted: Walking Club Volunteers
7. After-School Spanish Registration Now OPEN
After-school Spanish is back! We partner with The Language Labs to bring you a weekly 50 minute class of fun Spanish instruction. Learning a second language has shown to be good for the brain. Studies have found higher math scores, higher verbal scores, higher social studies scores, and higher test scores for children who study another language.
Classes are held every Thursday beginning October 5th from 3-3:50 at Whittier for a 20 week session. Cost is $280. Currently the class is open to Grades 1-6 only.
Space is limited! Click HERE to register, choose “Spanish” and then scroll down to the drop down menu and select Whittier’s class for online registration. Instructions on registering by mail are also provided.
There is one opening available for a parent volunteer to attend each class, and will receive half tuition for their child for their service. If interested in being the volunteer or for any questions email Rachel Carrero @ email@example.com
For more information, click HERE for the updated flier.
8. Fun Lunch
9. PTA Tasks
PTA Administrative Tasks
1) Enter/Update your Directory information: If you were already in the directory student grades have been updated for 2017-2018. If you have no additional updates, you don’t need to do anything. If your contact info has changed, please update it here (https://whittierschoolpta.org/
The deadline to enter your information into the directory in order to be included in the paper copy is September 25th.
2) Register for the PTA 2017-2018: If you have not registered for the PTA for this school year please do so ASAP! Registration/dues are required every year. This is where you can sign up to purchase a paper copy of the directory, get the Jaguar Journal, advertise in the directory, make an Angel Donation, and/or sign up to get more involved in the various Whittier committees and events. If you’d like a paper form or if you have ANY questions, please contact Ann Russell at AnnKHRussell@yahoo.com.