“Each contact with a human being is so rare, so precious, one should preserve it.” – Anais Nin
Staying in contact with other members of the Whittier community has gotten even easier! This year Whittier’s Directory will be available both in print and online (so you can access it anytime, anywhere from your smart phone or tablet). The print directory goes to, well, print this weekend – please submit your listing information no later than Friday, October 10th by visiting https://whittierschoolpta.org/directory-signup/. If you would prefer to only be listed in the print directory, you may email the following information to email@example.com.
- Family Last Name
- Student Name(s) and Grade(s)
- Parent Name(s)
- Address (you may include a secondary address if applicable)
- Phone (depending on how you’d like to be contacted, you can publish mobile, home, both, etc.)
- Parent email address(es)
Please also mark your calendar for Tuesday, October 21st at 7:00 p.m. to attend the next PTA meeting. At this meeting, the fundraising results from the Jaguar Jog will be shared in addition to other agenda items being covered.
Not a PTA member yet but interested in joining? Please complete the online PTA packet at https://whittierschoolpta.org/references/join-our-pta/. There are so many ways to get involved in the PTA… check out the ones that pique your interest and which fit best with your schedule.
Have a great week!
We are so fortunate to have a wonderful Whittier Community. Thank you!
Rita Brezina & Valerie Hardy (PTA Co-Presidents)
Tiffany Kuelthau & Debbie Levinthal (PTA Co-Vice Presidents)
Amy Ihde (PTA Secretary)
Corinne Potter (PTA Treasurer)
Jaguar Jog 2014 Experience sign ups are still open! Please see the Whittier Events and Activities Sign-Up from Jaguar Jog 2014.9.29 for details!
There was a last minute schedule change and the WRECK program will not be starting until Tuesday, October 14. There is still time to sign up a few spots left if your 3rd or 4th grade student is interested. The classes will run each Tuesday from 10/14 through 11/18, from 6:30-7:30 in the Whittier Computer Lab.
E-mail Jim Michaels at firstname.lastname@example.org to sign up.
Winter Wear Share
Start cleaning out your closets! WInter Wear Share is coming! Drop off winter jackets, coats, and boots to share and trade October 20th & 21st, trade/pick up items you need October 22nd & 23rd. Bins will be located by primary and kindergarten doors. Pickup will be by kindergarten doors. Questions?
Contact co-chairs Amy Cable – email@example.com or Peggy Tomchek – firstname.lastname@example.org
Just a few reminders!
1. Music is due to Bryan Schultz by FRIDAY(email to email@example.com). If you are struggling with cutting or editing your music contact Bryan and he can help.
2. Group Bios are due FRIDAY and should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
3. Check the Variety Show webpage or the attachment for when your act is scheduled for stage time. If you cannot make your schooled stage time please let me know.
4. Looking to support the Variety Show? Consider placing a business advertisement, and don’t forget to show your support with a “Break a leg” message! Complete a form Attached here or visit the Whittier PTA website) and submit it by October 24th!
Have a great time practicing this week and let me know if you have any questions! ~Melissa
Family Fun Event – Culver’s Wednesday, October 15th
The Family Fun Committee is hosting our first Family Fun Night at Culver’s! Make plans to meet friends at Culver’s on Wednesday, October 15th from 4:00pm-8:00pm. Some teachers will be volunteering at this event. 10% of all food orders between the hours of 4:00-8:00pm will be donated to WhittierSchool PTA Family Fun Committee. Please present your flyer to the cashier when ordering. Dine in or carry out.
Hope to see everyone there! If you have any questions, please contact Shannon Quinn Ssq1973@sbcglobal.net
Attention magazine lovers of all ages! We are looking for some families to make an easy contribution to the LRC at Whittier by sponsoring a magazine subscription. The following magazine subscriptions have not been filled:
1) Bark $25.00
2) Calliope $36.00
3) Marvel Super Heros $30.00
4) New Moon $40.95
5) Stone Soup $37.00
6) Sports Illustrated KIds $19.95
Magazines provide a unique opportunity to get children interested in reading while developing the critical academic skills they’ll need in the years to come. The selection of magazines offered is wide ranging and will certainly appeal to boys and girls of all ages and interests.
With parent contributions we’ll get a full year of issues in the LRC. Your help in making this valuable resource a part of our kids education is greatly appreciated! Thank you to the families who have already pledged a subscription.
Any questions? Please contact Theresa Johnson at theresaJohn@live.com
Whittier Elementary School and Chess Scholars present Chess Club with Professional Instruction!
The Fall Session will include 8 classes beginning on Monday, October 20th and ending on Monday, December 15th, no class on November 10th (Teacher Institute Day). All students K-6th grade can participate. Please see Fall 2014 Chess Scholars Flyer Whittier school for registration and fees.
If you have any questions, please contact Mindy Werner (email@example.com). A paper copy of the attached flyer will also come home with your student.
Market Day Pick-Up
If you placed a Market Day order it will be available for pick-up on Thursday, October 9th from 1:45-2:45pm in the Jaguar Jungle. As a reminder, we have limited freezer space so if you can pick up your order on Thursday it would be greatly appreciated! Please contact Kellie Miller at (812) 204-4384 or Amy Gassen at (630) 971-0689 with any questions.
- Thursday, October 9: Market Day Pick-Up
- Friday, October 10: Fun Lunch
- Monday, October 13: No School, Columbus Day
- Tuesday, October 14: Wreck Begins
- Wednesday, October 15: Culver’s Family Fun Dinner
- Monday, October 20: Chess Club Begins
- Friday, October 24: Fun Lunch
- Wednesday, October 29: Variety Show Tech Rehearsal
- Wednesday, November 5: Variety Show Dress Rehearsal
- Friday, November 7: School Variety Show
- Friday, November 7: Fun Lunch
- Monday, November 10: No School, Teacher Institute
- Tuesday, November 11: No School, Veterans Day
- Thursday, November 13: Tivoli Rehearsal
- Saturday, November 15: Variety Show at the Tivoli Theater
- Wednesday, November 19: Conferences, Regular School Attendance Day
- Thursday, November 20: Conferences, Regular School Attendance Day
- Friday, November 21: Fun Lunch
- Wednesday, November 26: No School
- Thursday, November 27-28: No School, Thanksgiving Break
- Friday, December 12: Fun Lunch
- December 22, 2014 – January 2, 2015: Winter Break
- Monday, January 5: Classes Resume
- Monday, January 19: No School, Martin Luther King Day
- Wednesday, February 4: Half-Day
- Wednesday, February 11: Conferences, Regular School Attendance Day
- Thursday, February 12: Conferences, Regular School Attendance Day
- Monday, February 16: No School, Presidents’ Day
- Friday, February 27: No School, Teacher Institute Day
- Monday, March 30 – Monday, April 6: No School, Spring Break
- Tuesday, April 7: Classes Resume
- Monday, May 25: No School, Memorial Day
- Wednesday, June 3: Last Day of School if no emergency days are used
- *Wednesday, June 10: Last Day of School
- *June 4-June 10 are emergency days and may be declared holidays if not needed