“Right now, with social networks and other tools on the Internet, … 500 million people have a way to say what they’re thinking and have their voice be heard.” – Mark Zuckerberg
We may be used to exercising our voices online, but the PTA wants to hear from you in person! The next PTA general membership meeting is TONIGHT (Tuesday, October 21st) at 7:00 p.m. in the Jaguar Jungle (Whittier Gym). All are welcome (the more “voices” the better!). A quorum is needed since we will be voting on expenditures for the teacher wish list and other items. As always, FREE BABYSITTING is available during PTA meetings in the art room.
Thank you to everyone who has generously signed up to host or co-host a Jaguar Jog “experience.” The giving nature of the Whittier community is truly one-of-a-kind. If you would be interested in becoming a co-host for an upcoming experience or if you have an idea for an experience for the future, we’d love to hear from you!
Last night was an event that really counts at Whittier: Math Night. Thanks to Debbie Dobrez, Math Chair, all of the volunteers who added to the event’s success, and to the number students and families who attended.
We hope to see you at the PTA meeting tonight.
We are so fortunate to have a wonderful Whittier Community. Thank you!
Rita Brezina & Valerie Hardy (PTA Co-Presidents)
Tiffany Kuelthau & Debbie Levinthal (PTA Co-Vice Presidents)
Amy Ihde (PTA Secretary)
Corinne Potter (PTA Treasurer)
The Whittier Student Council thanks everyone for their support of the caramel apple sale. We made a $470 profit from the sale which will help us provide donations to several of our selected charities such as The Nature Conservancy, Clearwater Marine Aquarium, and Lurie Children’s Hospital
Order a Market Day Pie and Help Us Earn Additional Funds for the Whittier LRC
1. The school show on November 7th will begin at 8:45 a.m. Specific details about the day will be distributed to groups closer to the performance date.
2. Looking to support the Variety Show? Consider placing a business advertisement, and don’t forget to show your support with a “Break a leg” message! Complete a form Attached here or visit the Whittier PTA website) and submit it by October 24th!
3. Mandatory tech rehearsal is next Wednesday, October 29th!
Jaguar Jog Experience Announcements
If you signed up for an Experience at the Jaguar Jog and did not pay – please send in your payment ASAP! We still have 28 families who have not paid for Experiences! You should have received an invoice from Tina Michaels. Thank you for your prompt attention to this matter!
Please make checks payable to “Whittier PTA” or send in the Credit Card Authorization Form. Credit Cards will only be accepted until November 1, after that only checks will be accepted.
Please be on the lookout for an EVITE for any Jaguar Jog Experience(s) you signed up for. If you don’t receive an evite with event details at least one week prior to the event date, please contact Sarah Cleveland at email@example.com
Questions? Please contact Chie Nicholson and Corinne Potter at firstname.lastname@example.org
PTA Fundraiser – Spooktacular Halloween Party
Please join us this SATURDAY from 7:30-11:30 at the Moose Lodge (upstairs) for LIVE music by Whittier Dad Jim Venckus and his band Brittany and The Spears!
$25 / pp at the door includes 2 beer tickets. Cash accepted at the door. Prizes for best costume, but costumes are not required. Adults only
WINTER WEAR SHARE – THIS WEEK!
PLEASE drop off winter jackets, coats, and boots to share and trade MONDAY and TUESDAY this week; trade/pick up items you need WEDNESDAY and THURSDAY. Bins for dropping off items will be located by primary and kindergarten doors. Distribution Wednesday and Thursday will be by kindergarten doors. Questions?
Contact co-chairs Amy Cable – email@example.com or Peggy Tomchek – firstname.lastname@example.org
Hospitality Committee Volunteers Needed for Conferences
The Hospitality Committee would like to invite Whittier parents interested in volunteering to provide hospitality for our wonderful teachers and staff. Opportunities include providing dinners at parent/teacher conferences and at a teacher/staff holiday luncheon. Please view the link below to see how you can help.
Tivoli Bowl American Heart Association Fundraiser
DESTINATION IMAGINATION !
Language Stars Spanish Program
2014 PTA Reflections Program
“The world would be a better place if…”
ENTRY DEADLINE: MONDAY NOVEMBER 3,2014
The PTA Reflections Program offers students a chance to show their artistic and creative side for fun and recognition! The Whittier PTA invites all Whittierstudents to participate and create original works of art based on this years theme; “The world would be a better place if…”
There are many categories in which to show your talent! Visit the PTA Reflections website at www.illinoispta.org/
Please feel free to contact Wendy Carter at email@example.com or 630-696-0553.
- Friday, October 24: Fun Lunch
- Wednesday, October 29: Variety Show Tech Rehearsal
- Wednesday, November 5: Variety Show Dress Rehearsal
- Friday, November 7: School Variety Show
- Friday, November 7: Fun Lunch
- Monday, November 10: No School, Teacher Institute
- Tuesday, November 11: No School, Veterans Day
- Thursday, November 13: Tivoli Rehearsal
- Saturday, November 15: Variety Show at the Tivoli Theater
- Wednesday, November 19: Conferences, Regular School Attendance Day
- Thursday, November 20: Conferences, Regular School Attendance Day
- Friday, November 21: Fun Lunch
- Wednesday, November 26: No School
- Thursday, November 27-28: No School, Thanksgiving Break
- Friday, December 12: Fun Lunch
- December 22, 2014 – January 2, 2015: Winter Break
- Monday, January 5: Classes Resume
- Monday, January 19: No School, Martin Luther King Day
- Wednesday, February 4: Half-Day
- Wednesday, February 11: Conferences, Regular School Attendance Day
- Thursday, February 12: Conferences, Regular School Attendance Day
- Monday, February 16: No School, Presidents’ Day
- Friday, February 27: No School, Teacher Institute Day
- Monday, March 30 – Monday, April 6: No School, Spring Break
- Tuesday, April 7: Classes Resume
- Monday, May 25: No School, Memorial Day
- Wednesday, June 3: Last Day of School if no emergency days are used
- *Wednesday, June 10: Last Day of School
- *June 4-June 10 are emergency days and may be declared holidays if not needed