“A choir is made up of many voices, including yours and mine. If one by one all go silent then all that will be left are the soloists. Don’t let a loud few determine the nature of the sound. It makes for poor harmony and diminishes the song.” – Vera Nazarian
The next PTA General Membership Meeting is Tuesday, October 21st at 7:00 p.m. in the Jaguar Jungle (Whittier Gym). All are welcome (the more “voices” the better!), and a quorum is needed since we will be voting on expenditures for teacher wish list and other items. As always, FREE BABYSITTING is available at the PTA meeting.
Not a PTA member yet but interested in joining? Please complete the online PTA packet at https://whittierschoolpta.org/references/join-our-pta/. There are so many ways to get involved in the PTA… check out the ones that pique your interest and which fit best with your schedule.
Thank you to everyone who has generously signed up to host or co-host a Jaguar Jog “experience.” Last week’s kickball event was the perfect kickoff to the many experiences that will follow.
We hope you enjoyed the long weekend and that the week ahead is a great one.
We are so fortunate to have a wonderful Whittier Community. Thank you!
Rita Brezina & Valerie Hardy (PTA Co-Presidents)
Tiffany Kuelthau & Debbie Levinthal (PTA Co-Vice Presidents)
Amy Ihde (PTA Secretary)
Corinne Potter (PTA Treasurer)
Family Fun Event – Culver’s Wednesday, October 15th
The Family Fun Committee is hosting our first Family Fun Night at Culver’s! Make plans to meet friends at Culver’s on Wednesday, October 15th from 4:00pm-8:00pm. Some teachers will be volunteering at this event. 10% of all food orders between the hours of 4:00-8:00pm will be donated to WhittierSchool PTA Family Fun Committee. Please present your flyer to the cashier when ordering. Dine in or carry out.
Hope to see everyone there! If you have any questions, please contact Shannon Quinn Ssq1973@sbcglobal.net
2014 PTA Reflections Program
“The world would be a better place if…”
ENTRY DEADLINE: MONDAY NOVEMBER 3,2014
The PTA Reflections Program offers students a chance to show their artistic and creative side for fun and recognition! The Whittier PTA invites all Whittier students to participate and create original works of art based on this years theme; “The world would be a better place if…”
There are many categories in which to show your talent! Visit the PTA Reflections website at www.illinoispta.org/reflections for more information and detailed rules for each category.
Please feel free to contact Wendy Carter at firstname.lastname@example.org or 630-696-0553.
1. The school show on November 7th will begin at 8:45 a.m. Specific details about the day will be distributed to groups closer to the performance date.
2. Looking to support the Variety Show? Consider placing a business advertisement, and don’t forget to show your support with a “Break a leg” message! Complete a form Attached here or visit the Whittier PTA website) and submit it by October 24th!
Have a great time practicing this week and let me know if you have any questions! ~Melissa
Winter Wear Share
Start cleaning out your closets! WInter Wear Share is coming! Drop off winter jackets, coats, and boots to share and trade October 20th & 21st, trade/pick up items you need October 22nd & 23rd. Bins will be located by primary and kindergarten doors. Pickup will be by kindergarten doors. Questions?
Contact co-chairs Amy Cable – email@example.com or Peggy Tomchek – firstname.lastname@example.org
Attention magazine lovers of all ages! We are looking for some families to make an easy contribution to the LRC at Whittier by sponsoring a magazine subscription. The following magazine subscriptions have not been filled:
1) Bark $25.00
2) Calliope $36.00
3) Marvel Super Heros $30.00
4) New Moon $40.95
5) Stone Soup $37.00
6) Sports Illustrated KIds $19.95
Magazines provide a unique opportunity to get children interested in reading while developing the critical academic skills they’ll need in the years to come. The selection of magazines offered is wide ranging and will certainly appeal to boys and girls of all ages and interests.
With parent contributions we’ll get a full year of issues in the LRC. Your help in making this valuable resource a part of our kids education is greatly appreciated! Thank you to the families who have already pledged a subscription.
Any questions? Please contact Theresa Johnson at theresaJohn@live.com
Whittier Elementary School and Chess Scholars present Chess Club with Professional Instruction!
Develop your child’s interest and intellect through the royal game of Chess! Current research has shown a strong link between chess and academic performance in a variety of areas, including mathematics and language arts. Chess has been proven to enhance motivation, concentration, focus, social skills and creativity.
The Fall Session will include 8 classes beginning on Monday, October 20th and ending on Monday, December 15th, no class on November 10th (Teacher Institute Day). All students K-6th grade can participate. Please see Fall 2014 Chess Scholars Flyer Whittier school for registration and fees.
If you have any questions, please contact Mindy Werner (email@example.com). A paper copy of the attached flyer will also come home with your student.
Mark Your Calendars
- Tuesday, October 14: Wreck Begins
- Wednesday, October 15: Culver’s Family Fun Dinner
- Monday, October 20: Chess Club Begins
- Friday, October 24: Fun Lunch
- Wednesday, October 29: Variety Show Tech Rehearsal
- Wednesday, November 5: Variety Show Dress Rehearsal
- Friday, November 7: School Variety Show
- Friday, November 7: Fun Lunch
- Monday, November 10: No School, Teacher Institute
- Tuesday, November 11: No School, Veterans Day
- Thursday, November 13: Tivoli Rehearsal
- Saturday, November 15: Variety Show at the Tivoli Theater
- Wednesday, November 19: Conferences, Regular School Attendance Day
- Thursday, November 20: Conferences, Regular School Attendance Day
- Friday, November 21: Fun Lunch
- Wednesday, November 26: No School
- Thursday, November 27-28: No School, Thanksgiving Break
- Friday, December 12: Fun Lunch
- December 22, 2014 – January 2, 2015: Winter Break
- Monday, January 5: Classes Resume
- Monday, January 19: No School, Martin Luther King Day
- Wednesday, February 4: Half-Day
- Wednesday, February 11: Conferences, Regular School Attendance Day
- Thursday, February 12: Conferences, Regular School Attendance Day
- Monday, February 16: No School, Presidents’ Day
- Friday, February 27: No School, Teacher Institute Day
- Monday, March 30 – Monday, April 6: No School, Spring Break
- Tuesday, April 7: Classes Resume
- Monday, May 25: No School, Memorial Day
- Wednesday, June 3: Last Day of School if no emergency days are used
- *Wednesday, June 10: Last Day of School
- *June 4-June 10 are emergency days and may be declared holidays if not needed