“Someone’s sitting in the shade today because someone planted a tree a long time ago.” – Warren Buffett
Halloween is behind us – hopefully you all are thawed out from the chilly costume parade and trick-or-treating – and now it’s time to look ahead. Many students are busy putting the finishing touches on their variety show acts and planning for the beginning of Destination ImagiNation and Reading Games season. Parents are likely helping with these preparations while also getting ready for the busy holiday season just around the corner.
Trust that the contributions you are making today will have a long-lasting impact on others including your loved ones, neighbors, friends, and even virtual strangers. In the meantime, be sure to take some time out for yourself, both to relax and to stay informed about the latest and greatest goings on at Whittier and within District 58. Mark your calendar now for the following upcoming not-to-be-missed PTA events.
- Tuesday, November 18th @ 6:30 p.m. in the Jaguar Jungle: Special Parent Education Presentation about Technology and Learning from District 58 Assistant Superintendent for Curriculum and Instruction, Dr. Matt Rich. The November PTA meeting will immediately follow Dr. Rich’s presentation.
- Friday, March 20th in the evening @ the American Legion Hall, Downers Grove: Spring Fundraising Event (more details to come)
We are so fortunate to have a wonderful Whittier Community. Thank you!
Rita Brezina & Valerie Hardy (PTA Co-Presidents)
Tiffany Kuelthau & Debbie Levinthal (PTA Co-Vice Presidents)
Amy Ihde (PTA Secretary)
Corinne Potter (PTA Treasurer)
**Picture re-take day will be Wednesday, November 12.
Volunteers Needed for Whittier’s Winter Wonderland Event
What happens when you mix the North Pole and Downers Grove? Whittier’s very own Winter Wonderland is born! Have you signed up to attend this spectacular holiday event for the whole family being held at Whittier on Sunday, December 7th from 11:30 a.m. – 1:30 p.m.? If not, space is still available. The cost is $45 per family, and all proceeds go to the Whittier PTA. Contact Valerie Hardy firstname.lastname@example.org for more information or to sign up to attend.
Whether you’re attending with your family or not, please consider signing up to volunteer at Whittier’s Winter Wonderland. Visithttps://whittierschoolpta.org/
Do you have a teenaged child or know of another local teen who could use volunteer hours? Look no further. The Winter Wonderland also welcomes teen volunteers. To register a teen to volunteer, contact Valerie Hardy at email@example.com.
Wednesday is dress rehearsal! Please contact the adult supervisor of the group for details. Parents are welcome to stay and watch the show!
What is Artsonia? Artsonia is the largest online student art museum in the world! Every child can have an online art gallery and preserve their masterpieces for all time! Artsonia will allow you to view your child’s’ Artwork via the internet and to share it with family members all over the country and around the world. Please know that if you do not already have an artsonia account, an e-mail will be sent to you asking you to confirm your child’s involvement. Artwork will not be posted without parental consent.
Our goal is to post 2-3 works of art for each Whittier student throughout the school year. 1st Grade projects were posted last week. Please know that there are options for you to purchase your child’s artwork in different formats, i.e. a magnet, mousepad, etc. A percentage of the proceeds will be donated back to Whittier for Mr. Belonio to use to purchase additional art supplies. Please contact Lisa McTigue firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
Friday, November 14th is a special Whittier Student Council Spirit Day! The Student Council voted to participate in a fundraiser to raise money for the Heavenly Hats Foundation. This foundation was started by a Wisconsin boy when he was 10 years old and they work to provide new hats to people of all ages that lose their hair due to cancer treatment or other disease. To participate in our Hat and Crazy Hair Day, students must pay $1 to wear a hat (crazy hair is optional). Information will be coming home this week about this special fundraiser.
Market Day Pick-Up
Thanks to everyone who ordered Market Day and hopefully a pie this month! It does not appear that we reached our goal of 100 pies sold to double our profit percentage like we had hoped to. However, all profits will still be donated to the LRC for new materials by our wonderful PTA. Orders will be available for pick up from 1:45 – 2:45 p.m. on Thursday, Nov. 6 in the Jaguar Jungle.
Save the date and mark your calendar for Monday, November 17th, from 4:00-8:00pm. The family fun committee is hosting a Family Fun Night at Tap House Grill in Westmont (on Cass Avenue- just South of 55th St.). Tap House Grill will donate 20% of our sales back to the family fun committee. Be on the lookout for a flyer about this event coming home in your child’s backpack later next week. You need to present the flyer when ordering.
Mark Your Calendars
- Wednesday, November 5: Variety Show Dress Rehearsal
- Thursday, November 6: Market Day Pick-Up
- Friday, November 7: School Variety Show
- Friday, November 7: Fun Lunch
- Monday, November 10: No School, Teacher Institute
- Tuesday, November 11: No School, Veterans Day
- Thursday, November 13: Tivoli Rehearsal
- Friday, November 14: Student Conncil Fundraiser – Wear a hat / Crazy Hair
- Saturday, November 15: Variety Show at the Tivoli Theater
- Monday, November 17 – Friday, November 21: Student Council Collecting Food Items for Charity
- Monday, November 17: The Tap House, 4:00-8:00, A Family Fun Event
- Wednesday, November 19: Conferences, Regular School Attendance Day
- Thursday, November 20: Conferences, Regular School Attendance Day
- Friday, November 21: Fun Lunch
- Wednesday, November 26: No School
- Thursday, November 27-28: No School, Thanksgiving Break
- Friday, December 12: Fun Lunch
- December 22, 2014 – January 2, 2015: Winter Break
- Monday, January 5: Classes Resume
- Monday, January 19: No School, Martin Luther King Day
- Wednesday, February 4: Half-Day
- Wednesday, February 11: Conferences, Regular School Attendance Day
- Thursday, February 12: Conferences, Regular School Attendance Day
- Monday, February 16: No School, Presidents’ Day
- Friday, February 27: No School, Teacher Institute Day
- Monday, March 30 – Monday, April 6: No School, Spring Break
- Tuesday, April 7: Classes Resume
- Monday, May 25: No School, Memorial Day
- Wednesday, June 3: Last Day of School if no emergency days are used
- *Wednesday, June 10: Last Day of School
- *June 4-June 10 are emergency days and may be declared holidays if not needed