Like Us on Facebook – Whittier School PTA
*Picture Re-take Day is Friday November 6, 2015*
Monday November 10 and Tuesday November 11 School is IN Session
1. Variety Show
2. LRC Magazine Subscription Donation
3. Bookfair with Anderson’s
4. Winter Wonderland
5. Masterpiece of the Month
6. Free Viewing of “The Mask You Live In”
1. Variety Show
This Tuesday all props and set pieces for the Whittier Variety Show must be brought to the gym right after school.
If you have many props please put them in a labeled bag or laundry basket. When you arrive you can place your props next to your act number (see list below). All props will remain at Whittier (unless other arrangements have been made) until Wednesday.
Please send your child to school on Wednesday with his/her costume packed in a bag as they will need to change into costume after school.
The dress rehearsal will begin no later than 3:30 and should end around 5:30. Students will remain in the gym during the rehearsal (no practice rooms will be available). Groups are encouraged to leave once they are finished performing. Dress rehearsal is open to parents and friends.
Don’t forget to get your break-a-leg message in by Wednesday!!
Opening Number – Best Day of My Life
1 Drum All Day
2 Blah, Blah, Blobs
3 Kool Kats of Kindergarten
4 Zombie Time
5 Pitch Perfect 2
6 Guardians of Funk
7 The Muppets Return
8 Dancing Daisies
9 Groovy Down Trotters
10 We Go Girls
11 Gymnastics Girls
12 Mustache Sisters
13 Caroline Scott
14 Double Treble
15 Minion Madness
16 The Hip Hop Girls
17 Girls Love a Country Song
18 Pillowcase Dancers
19 Beast Mode
20 Twin Magic
21 The Name That is Too Long to Say
22 Goofy Goobers
23 Where are You Now
25 9 Red Balloons
26 Ex’s and Oh’s
27 The Diamond Star Gymnasts
28 Kriss Kross
29 Something Big
30 Maybe Next Year
31 Mermaids in Action
32 6 Bruhs
33 Gaining Awesomeness
34 Don’t Deny the Girls
35 The Besties
36 The Besties
Tech Crew Dry Run Rehearsal Today (11/3/2015): only for emcees and stage crew
Dress Rehearsal at School Tomorrow (11/4/2015): mandatory for all Variety Show participants
Break-a-Leg Messages Due Tomorrow (11/4/2015): Late messages will NOT be accepted
Tivoli Practice Thursday, November 12 (11/12/2015): At Tivoli 3:00
School Show Friday, November 13 (11/13/2015)
Tivoli Show Saturday, November 14 (11/14/2015)
For more information, please see links below
Rehearsal info_ best day of my life
Support the playbill_best day of my life
2. LRC Magazine Subscription Donations
3. Bookfair with Anderson’s – November 19, 20, and 23 – LRC
We are excited to be working with Anderson’s Bookfair Company for the Fall Book Fair. We customized the fair to include recommendations from teachers and the librarian as well as a wide variety of genres. A few items to note:
–Reading Games Books will be available.
–Students will create wishlists that will be available to you.
–Teachers have created lists of books they recommend as well as wishlists for their classrooms.
–No toys, just books.
–By using Anderson’s, we are entitled to FREE author visits, including the one that occurred last month.
–students will have access to preview the fair during the week of 11/16; however, there will be no sales permitted during the school day. Please do not send money to school with your children.
Early next week you will receive a full-color flyer with just some of the great selections. If you would like to volunteer, please contact Jen Mielke at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thursday, November 19; 3:00-8:00pm (PTC Night)
Friday, November 20; 3:00-6:00pm (Extra Night)
Monday, November 23; 8:00am-12noon (PTC Day)
Denise Lazar, Jen Mielke and Kelly Coleman
4. Winter Wonderland Family Photos with Profession Photog Miles Boone
5. Masterpiece of the Month
“Work at the same time on sky, water, branches, ground, keeping everything going on an equal basis… Don’t be afraid of putting on color… Paint generously and unhesitatingly, for it is best not to lose the first impression. (Camille Pissarro)”
In November we are going back 500 years to the work of the famous Italian artist Giotto and will study his painting of Madonna and Child and how he truly impacted the Renaissance.
6. The Mask You Live In
“Man up.” “Don’t be a sissy.” “Don’t cry.” “Talk like a man.” “Act like a man.” “Be a man.” Millions of boys hear these words, these phrases, these commands, almost every day of their lives. They absorb the words and then spend a lifetime dealing with their effects. For our young boys, the path from boyhood to manhood is strewn with harmful words and stereotypes.
The new film, The Mask You Live In, explores the confining stereotypes that boys are exposed to as they become men. Through personal narratives and expert commentary, featuring Coach Joe Ehrmann, the film delves into the destructive and often conflicting messages that boys are being subjected to on a daily basis.
Thursday, November 12, 2015 from 7 to 8:30 p.m.
At the Clarence Johnson Auditorium, at Downers North High School Admission is FREE
Rated PG-14. Contains strong language and mature subject matter.
Find more information at www.therepresentationproject.org This event is sponsored by HGNA and DG North High School’s IWiLL
7. It’s time for WRECK!
What is WRECK? It is Whittier Robotics and Engineering Club for Kids, a unique free class sponsored by the PTA. Each week we build a Lego model using a motor, gears, and sensors, then we program it with Lego WEDO software to bring the model to life. WRECK is open to 3rd and 4th grade students — both boys and girls — and will meet on Wednesday evenings, from 6:30-7:30 in the Whittier REC Room (yes, WRECK in the REC Room, also known as Room 1). The fall session classes will meet on 11/4, 11/18, 12/2, 12/9 and 12/16, with additional classes in the new year.
Please e-mail Andy Knudsen at email@example.com to sign up. If your student was in the class last year, the models will be a repeat, but the kids are still welcome.
Mark Your Calendars
- Tuesday, November 3, 2015: Variety Show Stage Crew Dry Run 3:00-5:00 MANDATORY Emcees & Stage Crew Only
- Wednesday, November 4, 2015: Variety Show Dress Rehearsal 3:00-6:00 MANDATORY
- Monday, November 2, 2015: Reading Games Open at 9:00 AM
- November 2, 2015 – November, 2015: Student Council – Extra Candy Drive
- Monday, November 2, 2015: One Book One School, Whittier Reads, Kindness Palooza 6:30-8:00 pm
- Friday, November 6, 2015: Variety Show School Performance
- Friday, November 6, 2015: Picture Re-Take Day
- Friday, November 6, 2015: Blue and Gold Spirit Day
- Monday, November 9, 2015: Board of Education Meeting 7:00
- Thursday, November 12, 2015: Variety Show Tivoli Rehearsal 3:00-5:00 MANDATORY
- Thursday, November 12, 2015: 1st Grade Dress the Turkey
- Friday, November 13, 2015: Blue & Gold Spirit Day
- Friday, November 13, 2015: Report Card Day
- Saturday, November 14, 2015: Variety Show at the Tivoli 10:00 am
- Tuesday, November 17, 2015: Intramurals (grades 5-6)
- Thursday, November 19, 2015: PTA Fall Book Fair (3-8)
- Thursday, November 19, 2015: Parent / Teacher Conferences
- Friday, November 20, 2015: PTA Fall Book Fair (3-6)
- Friday, November 20, 2015: Blue & Gold Spirit Day
- Monday, November 23, 2015: Parent Teacher Conferences
- Monday, November 23, 2015: PTA Fall Book Fair (8-12)
- Tuesday, November 24, 2015 – Friday, November 27, 2015: Thanksgiving Holiday, No School
- Tuesday, December 1, 2015: Intramurals (Grades 5-6) 2:55-3:55
- Friday, December 4, 2015: Blue & Gold Spirit Day
- Monday, December 7, 2015: Music Program Grades 5 and 6 at 9:00 am
- Tuesday, December 8, 2015: General PTA Meeting
- Monday, December 21, 2015 – Sunday, January 3, 2016: Winter Break, No School
- Monday, January 18, 2016: Martin Luther King Day, No School
- Tuesday, January 19, 2016: General PTA Meeting
- Friday, February 12, 2016: No School
- Tuesday, February 16, 2016: General PTA Meeting
- Friday, March 4, 2016: Teacher Inservice, No School
- Saturday, March 12, 2015: Reading Games
- Tuesday, March 15, 2016: General PTA Meeting
- Friday, March 25, 2016 – Sunday, April 3, 2016: Spring Break, No School
- Friday, April 8, 2016: Spring Fundraiser LP4P 2
- Tuesday, April 19, 2016: General PTA Meeting
- Tuesday, May 17, 2016: General PTA Meeting
- Monday, May 30, 2016: Memorial Day, No School
- *Friday, June 3, 2016: Last Day of School
- *June 6 – June 10 possible emergency day