“Be thankful for what you have; you’ll end up having more. If you concentrate on what you don’t have, you will never, ever have enough.” – Oprah Winfrey
Thank you to everyone who came out to last week’s PTA meeting and presentation from Dr. Matt Rich, District 58 Assistant Superintendent for Curriculum and Instruction. If you couldn’t make it to the meeting but are interested in learning more about the District’s move to a vertical learning model, visit http://tinyurl.com/PTA58LEARN. At the end of the presentation is also a link to access information about and sample questions from the PARCC standardized assessment.
You can also access a wide selection of learning resources by checking out the District’s new Curriculum Web App at www.dg58.info/ladder. You do need your student’s login and password to view materials within the Curriculum Web App.
Please note that due to the hectic nature of the holiday season, there WILL NOT be a PTA meeting in December. The next PTA meeting will be held on January 20, 2015. We hope to see you there.
We are so thankful for all of the Whittier staff members, parents, and students who do so much to make this such a wonderful community to be a part of. Have a great Thanksgiving holiday and long weekend with your family and friends!
Rita Brezina & Valerie Hardy (PTA Co-Presidents)
Tiffany Kuelthau & Debbie Levinthal (PTA Co-Vice Presidents)
Amy Ihde (PTA Secretary)
Corinne Potter (PTA Treasurer)
Whittier Winter Mittens Are Here!
Welcome & Support will again be reaching out to help the Whittier community during the holiday season. Mittens will be hung outside the school’s main entry way on Tuesday, November 25th. Please consider taking a mitten and returning the mitten along with the gift request on the mitten to the main office. Please return gifts no later than Monday, December 15th.
Questions? Contact co-chairs Amy Cable: firstname.lastname@example.org or Peggy Tomchek: email@example.com
Last chance to order delicious food from this month’s Market Day and support our school! December Market Day orders must be turned in to your child’s teacher by Tuesday, November 25 or online by 11:00pm on Monday, December 1. Market Day is an easy way to help our school earn money, so please consider placing an order this month: Even an order of just one or two items makes a difference! If you have any questions please contact Kellie Miller at (812) 204-4384 or Amy Gassen at (630) 971-0689.
Couch Sessions with Miles Boone
Miles Boone is taking appointments for his upcoming Couch Session Family Photos. Couch Portraits are black and white family portraits shot in a more casual setting, on his couch.
Appointments are available:
- November 29
- December 13
For more information, please see the following: Miles Boone Couch Portraits 2014
Miles Boone can be contacted by phone 630.963.1667 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Variety Show Posters
The Variety Show Posters were so AWESOME, they sold out in record time. If interested in purchasing a poster, please email WhittierVarietyShow@gmail.com and include the number of posters you would like. Each poster is $2. Orders due by December 2, 2014.
Mark Your Calendars
- Tuesday, November 25: Market Day Orders Due to Teachers
- Wednesday, November 26: No School
- Thursday, November 27-28: No School, Thanksgiving Break
- Monday, December 1: Market Day Orders Due Online
- Friday, December 12: Fun Lunch
- December 22, 2014 – January 2, 2015: Winter Break
- Monday, January 5: Classes Resume
- Monday, January 19: No School, Martin Luther King Day
- Wednesday, February 4: Half-Day
- Wednesday, February 11: Conferences, Regular School Attendance Day
- Thursday, February 12: Conferences, Regular School Attendance Day
- Monday, February 16: No School, Presidents’ Day
- Friday, February 27: No School, Teacher Institute Day
- Monday, March 30 – Monday, April 6: No School, Spring Break
- Tuesday, April 7: Classes Resume
- Monday, May 25: No School, Memorial Day
- Wednesday, June 3: Last Day of School if no emergency days are used
- *Wednesday, June 10: Last Day of School
- *June 4-June 10 are emergency days and may be declared holidays if not needed