“The beauty of the universe consists not only of unity in variety, but also of variety in unity.”
– Umberto Eco, The Name of the Rose
A gigantic THANK YOU goes out to Melissa Rausch, the rest of the Variety Show committee, and all of the students who participated in and came out to watch the show at the Tivoli on Saturday. Everything was truly awesome!
Don’t let the cold keep you in! Bundle up and come out to TONIGHT’s special parent education presentation about Technology and Learning from District 58’s Superintendent for Curriculum and Instruction, Dr. Matt Rich. His presentation will begin promptly at 6:30 in the Jaguar Jungle and will be followed immediately by the regular November PTA meeting. FREE babysitting will be provided from 6:30 until the end of the meeting in the art room.
Let’s keep the conversation going! If your schedule permits, stop by Another Round on Main Street after tonight’s PTA meeting. We hope to see you there.
Please note that due to the hectic nature of the holiday season, there WILL NOT be a PTA meeting in December.
We are so fortunate to have a wonderful Whittier Community. Thank you!
Book Fair – Wednesday, November 19th, 3:00-8:00
Read all about it!
About what, you ask? Everything from Minecraft to Ninjago to Pinkalicious – the Scholastic Book Fair has it all. And it will all be conveniently located in the Jaguar Jungle for your shopping pleasure from 3:00 – 8:00 PM on Wednesday, November 19. Stop by after school or in between conferences and pick up something new to rivet your readers!
Don’t forget to throw your spare change (or even a dollar or two) into your child(ren)’s classroom All For Books collection jar. The class that collects the most money wins a spirit day (to be determined by their teacher) and everyone’s collections will be spent on books for their classroom. Scholastic will match every dollar we collect and donate up to one million books to charities that support kids in need.
Don’t have time to make it on Wednesday? All your conferences are Thursday (drat)? The little guy in front of you grabbed the last copy of Creepy Carrots right out from under your nose? No problem! The ONLINE BOOK FAIR will save your proverbial bacon. Simply go to www.scholastic.com/fair and type in our zip code (60515). Find Whittier near the bottom of the list and shop to your heart’s content. The online fair is open NOW until December 4. It’s a great way to pick up holiday surprises, too!
Questions? Contact Jen Mielke or Tina Michaels.
Order your Whittier spirit wear online now – just in time for the holidays! Check out the NEW Whittier Wear collection – There are new logos, lounge pants, tie dye shirts, hoodies, skull hats, cinch sacks (mesh siding — think about all that wet winter gear) and more! The Whittier Wear on-line store is currently open, so be sure to check it out!! The store will be closing November 25th. The link to our store is www.zimmzang.com/Whittier.
Whittier’s Winter Wonderland Event – Miles Boone Photography
Miles Boone, a professional photographer, has volunteered to capture Jack Frost inspired moments at the Winter Wonderland Event, December 7th from 11:30-1:30 in the Jaguar Gym. Thanks Miles Boone Photography! And if you have not had a chance to take your family holiday picture, its not too late. Contact Miles Boone to schedule your Couch Portraits.
Couch Portraits are black and white family portraits shot in a more casual setting, on my couch. You can wear what you like, take your shoes off-or leave them on, you can even stand and jump on my couch, whatever you feel would make a fun, meaningful portrait of your family. Please see Miles Boone Couch Portraits 2014 for more information on how to schedule your family’s photo shoot.
What happens when you mix the North Pole and Downers Grove? Whittier’s very own Winter Wonderland is born! Have you signed up to attend this spectacular holiday event for the whole family being held at Whittier on Sunday, December 7th from 11:30 a.m. – 1:30 p.m.? If not, space is still available. The cost is $45 per family, and all proceeds go to the Whittier PTA. Contact Valerie Hardy at firstname.lastname@example.org
What is Artsonia? Artsonia is the largest online student art museum in the world! Every child can have an online art gallery and preserve their masterpieces for all time! Artsonia will allow you to view your child’s’ Artwork via the internet and to share it with family members all over the country and around the world. Please know that if you do not already have an artsonia account, an e-mail will be sent to you asking you to confirm your child’s involvement. Artwork will not be posted without parental consent.
Our goal is to post 2-3 works of art for each Whittier student throughout the school year. 1st Grade projects were posted last week. Please know that there are options for you to purchase your child’s artwork in different formats, i.e. a magnet, mousepad, etc. A percentage of the proceeds will be donated back to Whittier for Mr. Belonio to use to purchase additional art supplies. Please contact Lisa McTigue at email@example.com with any questions.
Mark Your Calendars
- Monday, November 17 – Friday, November 21: Student Council Collecting Food Items for Charity
- Monday, November 17: The Tap House, 4:00-8:00, A Family Fun Event
- Wednesday, November 19: Conferences, Regular School Attendance Day
- Thursday, November 20: Conferences, Regular School Attendance Day
- Friday, November 21: Fun Lunch
- Tuesday, November 25: Market Day Orders Due to Teachers
- Wednesday, November 26: No School
- Thursday, November 27-28: No School, Thanksgiving Break
- Monday, December 1: Market Day Orders Due Online
- Friday, December 12: Fun Lunch
- December 22, 2014 – January 2, 2015: Winter Break
- Monday, January 5: Classes Resume
- Monday, January 19: No School, Martin Luther King Day
- Wednesday, February 4: Half-Day
- Wednesday, February 11: Conferences, Regular School Attendance Day
- Thursday, February 12: Conferences, Regular School Attendance Day
- Monday, February 16: No School, Presidents’ Day
- Friday, February 27: No School, Teacher Institute Day
- Monday, March 30 – Monday, April 6: No School, Spring Break
- Tuesday, April 7: Classes Resume
- Monday, May 25: No School, Memorial Day
- Wednesday, June 3: Last Day of School if no emergency days are used
- *Wednesday, June 10: Last Day of School
- *June 4-June 10 are emergency days and may be declared holidays if not needed