“The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others.” – Mahatma Gandhi
As we celebrate Veterans Day with a day off of school, we cannot help but reflect on the importance of service to others. A sincere thank you goes out to the men and women in our community who currently are serving our country and who have served in the past.
Our children learn the value of bettering themselves by bettering the lives of others through the role modeling of so many within the Whittier community who willingly give of themselves in various ways. Thank you to the all of the Whittier dads who volunteered hours of their Veterans Day weekend to build a gaga pit for Whittier’s students to get hours of enjoyment out of each week at recess and beyond. We know the students will be beyond excited when they get to school on Wednesday and see this new addition to the Whittier playground!
Mark your calendar now for the following PTA events:
- Tuesday, November 18th @ 6:30 p.m. in the Jaguar Jungle: Special Parent Education Presentation about Technology and Learning from District 58 Assistant Superintendent for Curriculum and Instruction, Dr. Matt Rich. The November PTA meeting will immediately follow Dr. Rich’s presentation. As always, FREE babysitting will be provided for the duration of the meeting.
- Friday, March 20th in the evening @ the American Legion Hall, Downers Grove: Spring Fundraising Event (more details to come)
We are so fortunate to have a wonderful Whittier Community. Thank you!
Rita Brezina & Valerie Hardy (PTA Co-Presidents)
Tiffany Kuelthau & Debbie Levinthal (PTA Co-Vice Presidents)
Amy Ihde (PTA Secretary)
Corinne Potter (PTA Treasurer)
Volunteers Needed for Whittier’s Winter Wonderland Event
Teen and adult volunteers are still needed to help make Whittier’s first ever Winter Wonderland magical. Can you help, or do you know a teenager who could use volunteer hours? Visit https://whittierschoolpta.org/volunteering/fall-fundraiser/ for a full listing of volunteer opportunities. To register a teen volunteer, contact Valerie Hardy at email@example.com. The event is Sunday, December 7th from 11:30 a.m. – 1:30 p.m.
Thursday all performers, emcees and crew should report to the Tivoli immediately after school. Parents and siblings can stay in the theater during practice.
Enter through the stage doors off the West side parking lot. ALL PROPS should be brought to Tivoli and can stay!! Please bring props on stage to the far side back stage (someone will be there to direct you)
Everyone should sit in the middle section when they arrive. Once a groups is done on stage they are free to go. Emcees and stage crew will stay for the entire practice .The goal is to be done no later than 4:30 p.m.
Don’t forget to mark your calendar for the November 15th 10 a.m. Show at the Tivoli!And don’t forget to order your Variety Show DVD!! Variety Show 2014 DVD Order Form
What is Artsonia? Artsonia is the largest online student art museum in the world! Every child can have an online art gallery and preserve their masterpieces for all time! Artsonia will allow you to view your child’s’ Artwork via the internet and to share it with family members all over the country and around the world. Please know that if you do not already have an artsonia account, an e-mail will be sent to you asking you to confirm your child’s involvement. Artwork will not be posted without parental consent.
Our goal is to post 2-3 works of art for each Whittier student throughout the school year. 1st Grade projects were posted last week. Please know that there are options for you to purchase your child’s artwork in different formats, i.e. a magnet, mousepad, etc. A percentage of the proceeds will be donated back to Whittier for Mr. Belonio to use to purchase additional art supplies. Please contact Lisa McTigue at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
Mark Your Calendars
- Thursday, November 13: Tivoli Rehearsal
- Friday, November 14: Student Conncil Fundraiser – Wear a hat / Crazy Hair
- Saturday, November 15: Variety Show at the Tivoli Theater
- Monday, November 17 – Friday, November 21: Student Council Collecting Food Items for Charity
- Monday, November 17: The Tap House, 4:00-8:00, A Family Fun Event
- Wednesday, November 19: Conferences, Regular School Attendance Day
- Thursday, November 20: Conferences, Regular School Attendance Day
- Friday, November 21: Fun Lunch
- Wednesday, November 26: No School
- Thursday, November 27-28: No School, Thanksgiving Break
- Friday, December 12: Fun Lunch
- December 22, 2014 – January 2, 2015: Winter Break
- Monday, January 5: Classes Resume
- Monday, January 19: No School, Martin Luther King Day
- Wednesday, February 4: Half-Day
- Wednesday, February 11: Conferences, Regular School Attendance Day
- Thursday, February 12: Conferences, Regular School Attendance Day
- Monday, February 16: No School, Presidents’ Day
- Friday, February 27: No School, Teacher Institute Day
- Monday, March 30 – Monday, April 6: No School, Spring Break
- Tuesday, April 7: Classes Resume
- Monday, May 25: No School, Memorial Day
- Wednesday, June 3: Last Day of School if no emergency days are used
- *Wednesday, June 10: Last Day of School
- *June 4-June 10 are emergency days and may be declared holidays if not needed