“Light is the task where many share the toil.’” – Homer
Thanks to everyone who came out to last week’s PTA meeting. Homer was right (and we don’t mean Simpson)! It is because of the many who contribute that the Whittier PTA can accomplish all it does. However, in order for some of the PTA programs that positively impact the most students and families to continue next year, we need a few more volunteers to help “share the toil.” While information about the whole range of volunteer opportunities available through the PTA will be presented at the Volunteer Open House on April 21st, we’re hoping to identify individuals interested in serving in the following positions open for the 2015-2016 school year as soon as possible. This will allow the new chairs to learn the ropes from this year’s chairs in a timely fashion.
2015-2016 Co-Chairs Currently Being Sought for the Following:
- Fun Lunch
- Jaguar Jog (Fall Fundraiser)
Interested? Want more information? Contact Rita Brezina (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Valerie Hardy (email@example.com).
Lunch Delivery Program Interest Inventory Please click on the link below to complete a brief survey to help us determine whether it would be worthwhile to pursue the possibility of offering a vendor-provided lunch delivery service at Whittier.
Upcoming PTA Meetings Mark your calendar now for the remaining PTA meetings of the year as outlined below. Please note the date change for the March meeting.
- February 17th – PTA Meeting
- March 24th – PTA Meeting
- April 21st – Volunteer Opportunity Open House followed by PTA Meeting
- May 19th – PTA Meeting
We are so fortunate to have a wonderful Whittier Community. Thank you for all of your support!
Rita Brezina & Valerie Hardy (PTA Co-Presidents)
Tiffany Kuelthau & Debbie Levinthal (PTA Co-Vice Presidents)
Amy Ihde (PTA Secretary)
Corinne Potter (PTA Treasurer) firstname.lastname@example.org whittierschoolpta.org
Spring Fundraiser: Let’s Play for the Playground
Reminder, the Spring Fundraiser committee meeting is this Thursday night from 7-9pm at the DG library Conference Room A. If you unable to attend the planning meetings, we are also looking for volunteers to help at the actual event, March 20, 2015. Please let us know if you would like to volunteer.
Your child should have received some literature about Spring Fundraiser via backpack last week. The document included a portion to submit to participate in “Let’s Play for the Playground”. The office has extra copies if you need one.
Pease feel free to contact: Carrie Grebel at Carriegrebel@aol.com or Michelle Aleksiunas at Davis0708@aol.com
If you would like to help brainstorm ideas for, sponsor or help plan the experiences that will be available for sign-up at the event, there is a planning meeting on February 3rd at 1:30pm at Rita Brezina’s home. Any questions, suggestions or would like to be involved but can’t make it? Contact Valerie Hardy (email@example.com) or Rita Brezina (firstname.lastname@example.org). Thank you!
Market Day order forms went home yesterday! Please consider ordering this month. Market Day offers a variety of wonderful foods as well as other items. You can check all of it out at marketday.com and while you’re browsing, go ahead and place that order! Orders are due by Thursday, Feb. 5, 2015. You may turn in the order form to the school or purchase online.
If you have any questions, please contact Kellie Miller at (812) 204-4384 or Amy Gassen at (630) 971-0689. As always, we appreciate your support!
The Whittier Robotic & Engineering Club for Kids (W.R.E.C.K) starts again Tuesday, February 10 from 6:30 – 7:30 p.m. The spring session will pick up where we left off in the fall with the last 6 Lego models from the series so it won’t be a duplicate for those who attended the fall session.
No experience necessary though, so if your child missed the previous sessions and wants to join in now, sign them up! Students will meet in the Whittier Computer Lab on Tuesday evenings from 6:30-7:30, February 10 – March 17.The class is open to 3rd and 4th grade students.
Please e-mail email@example.com to sign up.
A Busy Week for Student Council!
Wednesday, January 28th – Spirit Day – Dress as your favorite book character to celebrate the finale of our One Book, One School program. The character may be from any book you enjoy!
Thursday, January 29th – Winter Wiggle after school (3-3:45) with Coach Josh – Admission $1.00 to benefit the Humane Society and the Clearwater Marine Aquarium
Friday, January 30th – Super Bowl Spirit Day – wear your favorite football jersey OR colors of your favorite football team! We will be celebrating the Superbowl with football trivia questions during the morning announcements all week! Trivia question answers will be posted in the Jaguar Jungle at lunch!
Outstanding Teacher Award
- Wednesday, January 28: One Book One School Diorama and Skype with Author
- Wednesday, January 28: Student Council Spirit Day
- Thursday, January 29: Spring Fundraiser Committee Meeting
- Thursday, January 29: Winter Wiggle with Coach Josh
- Friday, January 30: Great American Bagel Fun Lunch
- Friday, January 30: Super Bowl Spirit Day
- Wednesday, February 4: Half-Day
- Thursday, February 5: Market Day Pick-Up
- Tuesday, February 10: WRECK Begins
- Wednesday, February 11: Conferences, Regular School Attendance Day
- Thursday, February 12: Conferences, Regular School Attendance Day
- Friday, February 13: Potbelly Fun Lunch
- Monday, February 16: No School, Presidents’ Day
- Monday, February 23: Science Night
- Friday, February 27: No School, Teacher Institute Day
- Friday, March 6: Brown’s Chicken Fun Lunch
- Friday, March 20: Buona Beef Fun Lunch
- Friday, March 20: Spring Fundraiser
- Monday, March 30 – Monday, April 6: No School, Spring Break
- Tuesday, April 7: Classes Resume
- Friday, April 10: Skuddlebutts Fun Lunch
- Friday, April 24: McDonald’s Fun Lunch
- Friday, May 8: Great American Bagel Fun Lunch
- Monday, May 25: No School, Memorial Day
- Wednesday, June 3: Last Day of School if no emergency days are used
- *Wednesday, June 10: Last Day of School
- *June 4-June 10 are emergency days and may be declared holidays if not needed