“Showing up is not all of life – but it counts for a lot.” – Hillary Clinton
Strep throat, influenza, and lice. Oh my! (Doesn’t simply hearing these words make your throat sore, your muscles ache, and your head itch?)
Whittier’s school nurse, Sheri Lopez, will be sharing a “Health Services Update” at the PTA meeting on Tuesday, January 20th. This presentation will include information on excludable and non-excludable health concerns (such as the ones listed above as well as fever, GI illness, etc.), health concern protocol for both the school and families, and a question and answer session.
“Show up” to the PTA meeting not only for this important health services update, but also to share your thoughts about the possibility of implementing an optional school lunch program at Whittier and to learn more about all of the latest PTA happenings. The meeting will begin at 7:00 p.m. and will be held in the Jaguar Jungle. FREE BABYSITTING will be provided for the duration of the meeting.
Showing up truly does count for a lot, but stepping up is an added bonus! Are you ready to get more involved? The PTA is currently looking for Co-Vice Presidents and Jaguar Jog chairs for the 2015-2016 school year. Interested? Contact Rita Brezina (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Valerie Hardy (email@example.com).
We are so fortunate to have a wonderful Whittier Community. Thank you!
Rita Brezina & Valerie Hardy (PTA Co-Presidents)
Tiffany Kuelthau & Debbie Levinthal (PTA Co-Vice Presidents)
Amy Ihde (PTA Secretary)
Corinne Potter (PTA Treasurer)
More information to come, but mark your calendar for the Spring Fundraiser: March 20th, 7-11:30pm at American Legion Hall.
Help put the “Fun” in the Spring Fundraiser and join us for a planning committee meeting on Thursday, Jan. 29th, 7-9 at the Downers Grove Library Second Floor, Conference Room A. Anyone interested in helping is welcome to attend.
If there are any questions please contact Michelle Aleksiunas firstname.lastname@example.org or
Carrie Grebel email@example.com
Volunteers needed!! Whittier has 10 Destination Imagination teams that are working hard to get ready to compete in the Regional tournament. Each team needs an adult volunteer to work at the tournament as an Appraiser. The volunteers need not be related to the DI team members. Teachers can earn CPDUs for volunteering. Your commitment as an appraiser would be for a 4 hour training session on the morning of Feb. 7 or evening on Feb. 17 and then 8a.m.- 4p.m. at the DI tournament on Feb. 28th. If you are interested in volunteering please contact Wendy Carter @ WENDYLCARTER@att.net or 630-696-0553.
The Baked Apply Family Fun Breakfast / Lunch
Save the date and mark your calendar for Monday, January 19th, from 6:00am-3:00pm. The family fun committee is hosting a family fun event at The Baked Apple in Downers Grove (1224 Ogden Ave.). Breakfast or lunch in your pajamas! That’s right, no need to get out of your pjs for this fun morning/afternoon with family and friends. The Baked Apple will donate 10% of total sales from anyone dining between 6:00am-3:00pm back to the family fun committee. Be on the lookout for a flyer to come home in your child’s backpack later this week. You DO NOT need the flyer for Whittier to get credit.
One Book, One School
We encourage all students to log onto the LRC Web page each day to answer the Trivia Question of the Day related to The Sixty-Eight Rooms. Six winners will be chosen at random each day to receive a special book-related prize. Visit www.whittierlrc.weebly.com, then click on the One Book, One School tab. Remind your child to enter both their first and last name into the Name Tab on the trivia form.
On Wednesday, January 14th, 1st-3rd grade students can visit the LRC during their recess time for a special book discussion on what they’ve read so far. On Thursday, January 15th, 4th-6th grade students can do the same.
Thanks for your participation!
Please contact Kelly Coleman with any questions at firstname.lastname@example.org
Market Day Pick-Up
Market Day orders can be picked up this Thursday, January 15 from 1:45 to 2:45 in the Jaguar Jungle. If you have not already paid, please be sure to bring your payment when you pick up your order. If you cannot pick up your order on Thursday we will be happy to store your items in the freezer at school; however we ask that you please pay in advance. Thank you so much for your support! If you have any questions, please contact Kellie Miller at (812) 204-4384 or Amy Gassen at (630) 971-0689
- Thursday, January 15: Market Day Pick-Up
- Friday, January 16: Fun Lunch
- Monday, January 19: No School, Martin Luther King Day
- Monday, January 19: Family Fun Breakfast / Lunch, The Baked Apple
- Tuesday, January 20: PTA Meeting, Jaguar Gym
- Friday, January 23: Fun Lunch Orders Due
- Thursday, January 29: Spring Fundraiser Committee Meeting
- Friday, January 30: Great American Bagel Fun Lunch
- Wednesday, February 4: Half-Day
- Wednesday, February 11: Conferences, Regular School Attendance Day
- Thursday, February 12: Conferences, Regular School Attendance Day
- Friday, February 13: Potbelly Fun Lunch
- Monday, February 16: No School, Presidents’ Day
- Friday, February 27: No School, Teacher Institute Day
- Friday, March 6: Brown’s Chicken Fun Lunch
- Friday, March 20: Buona Beef Fun Lunch
- Friday, March 20: Spring Fundraiser
- Monday, March 30 – Monday, April 6: No School, Spring Break
- Tuesday, April 7: Classes Resume
- Friday, April 10: Skuddlebutts Fun Lunch
- Friday, April 24: McDonald’s Fun Lunch
- Friday, May 8: Great American Bagel Fun Lunch
- Monday, May 25: No School, Memorial Day
- Wednesday, June 3: Last Day of School if no emergency days are used
- *Wednesday, June 10: Last Day of School
- *June 4-June 10 are emergency days and may be declared holidays if not needed