Our next PTA meeting is February 16, 2016
- PTA Openings
- LRC News – Young Authors and DGPL Bookmark Contest
- District PTA Building Bridges Meeting Information
- Six Flags Reading Program
- Student Council Update
- Family Fun Upcoming Events
1. PTA Openings – We Need YOU!
Thank you to those that have filled the open positions. Opportunities still exist to serve in our PTA! Don’t be shy and apply!
The link below provides a summary of the different committees. In addition to needing several committee chairs, we need volunteers to help with different activites.
1 or 2 Vice PresidentsTreasurerSecretaryTeacher appreciation chairCo book fair chairVariety show shadowCo summer curriculum chairJaguar Jog chair
2. LRC News
All students are invited to submit entries for the Young Authors competition. Entries are due to the LRC by Friday, February 26, 2016
Downers Grove Bookmark Contest
Design an original bookmark about your favorite book or about reading! Entries accepted between January 4 – February 8, 2016. While some classes may have an opportunity to work on their bookmark during LRC time, other classes might not.
• Winners chosen for each grade: Kindergarten through sixth and junior high.
• Winning bookmarks will be printed on winner’s choice of colored cardstock.
• Winners receive 35 copies of their bookmark, a certificate, and a prize.
• Honorable Mention winners receive a certificate and a prize.
• Winning bookmarks will be displayed and distributed in the Kids Room of the Downers Grove Public Library.
The annual SIT conference will take place in Bensenville on February 20th. This is a technology driven conference for children in grades 3-12. For more information visit
4. Read for Success – Six Flags Reading Incentive
5. Student Council Updates
Thank you Whittier families for your support of the Student Council’s collection for PADS and our holiday candy cane fundraiser. You’re the best!
Just a reminder that the Student Council collects General Mills box tops that are found on many different products. We will be turning our collection in mid-February. Last year’s box top money helped fund an all-school assembly and many of our charities.
Please send cut-out box tops with expiration dates AFTER March 1, 2016, with your child to school ASAP. General Mills does not accept expired box tops. All box tops will be forwarded to Mrs. Krygeris for Whittier’s Student Council.
Thank you and Happy New Year from Whittier Student Council!
7. Family Fun
- Monday, January 4 – Monday, February 8: DGPL Bookmark Contest
- Monday, January 18, 2016: Martin Luther King Day, No School
- Monday, January 18, 2016: Baked Apple Family Fun Event
- Friday, January 22, 2016: Fun Lunch Great American Bagel
- Friday, February 5, 2016: Fun Lunch McDonald’s
- Friday, February 12, 2016: No School
- Tuesday, February 16, 2016: General PTA Meeting
- Friday, February 19, 2016: Fun Lunch Buona Beef
- Friday, February 26, 2016: Young Author Entries Due to LRC
- Monday, February 29, 2016: Chipotle Family Fun Event
- Thursday, March 3, 2016: Fun Lunch Potbellys
- Friday, March 4, 2016: Teacher Inservice, No School
- Saturday, March 12, 2016: Reading Games
- Tuesday, March 15, 2016: General PTA Meeting
- Friday, March 25, 2016 – Sunday, April 3, 2016: Spring Break, No School
- Friday, April 8, 2016: Fun Lunch Mojos
- Friday, April 8, 2016: Spring Fundraiser LP4P 2
- Tuesday, April 19, 2016: General PTA Meeting
- Friday, April 22, 2016: Fun Lunch Great American Bagel
- Friday, May 6, 2016: Fun Lunch Buona Beef
- Tuesday, May 17, 2016: General PTA Meeting
- Monday, May 30, 2016: Memorial Day, No School
- *Friday, June 3, 2016: Last Day of School
- *June 6 – June 10 possible emergency day