“The function of education is to teach one to think intensively and to think critically. Intelligence plus character – that is the goal of true education.”
-Martin Luther King, Jr.
- Friday 1/13 – Whittier Spirit Day – Wear your spirit wear or blue/gold!
- Monday 1/16 – NO SCHOOL – Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
- Tuesday 1/17 – General PTA Meeting @ Whittier LRC – 7pm (Babysitting provided)
- 3rd Annual MLK Day Fundraiser
- Hospitality Committee Needs Your Help!
- 26th Annual Outstanding Teacher Award
1. 3rd Annual MLK Day Fundraiser
In town for Martin Luther King Day? Start it off right with breakfast at Baked Apple! Or if you want to sleep in, make it a lunch outing. Either way, you don’t even have to change out of your pajamas for our 3rd annual MLK Day fundraiser!
2. Hospitality Committee Needs Your Help!
3. 26th Annual Outstanding Teacher Award
Do you know an outstanding teacher?
The Downers Grove Junior Woman’s Club (DGJWC) is sponsoring the 26th Annual Outstanding Teacher Award to recognize a teacher in a Downers Grove area school who is truly special and remarkable in the field of education. In order to participate, a student must write an essay (approximately 60 words for grades K-3, 100 words for grades 4-8, and 200 words for high school) describing the teacher and what makes him/her special or outstanding. The essay does not have to be about the student’s current teacher. Parents may help those who are too young to write, but the entry must be in the child’s own words.
The students with the winning entries will have the opportunity to help honor the teachers they nominated with an in classroom presentation, with a special award for their outstanding teacher!
All entries must be postmarked or emailed by Wednesday, February 1, in order to be considered.
CLICK HERE for more information and the printable award entry form!