“The ladder of success is best climbed by stepping on the rungs of opportunity.’” – Ayn Rand
Uncle Sam The Whittier PTA wants you! Are you ready?
Please consider taking on a leadership role within the PTA for next school year. We’re currently looking to fill the Jaguar Jog and Fun Lunch co-chair positions as soon as possible.
For the past few years, we have relied on the Jaguar Jog to not only bring the Whittier community together in a fun, fitness-oriented way but also to fund the PTA’s annual operating budget. It is this budget that funds the many PTA-sponsored extracurricular programs, all-school field trip, teacher wish list items, and much more. Volunteer to co-chair the Jaguar Jog to see just how far-reaching your efforts can go!
Children and parents alike look forward to Fun Lunch Fridays (albeit likely for different reasons). Help make many everyone’s day twice a month by volunteering as a Fun Lunch co-chair!
Interested? Have questions? Contact Rita Brezina (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Valerie Hardy (email@example.com).
Now get your calendar ready!
Struggling to get your kids to take ownership of their homework? Need help getting the kids to manage their activity schedule? Tonight is the rescheduled Parent Education event focusing on helping children improve their executive function skills. The event will be held at Herrick Middle School beginning at 7:00 p.m. The one-hour presentation is free but registration is required. Visit https://www.eventbrite.com/e/parent-ed-night-executive-function-skills-rescheduled-tickets-15619111182 to reserve your spot.
Below are the dates for the remaining PTA meetings of the year. Please note the date change for the March meeting.
- February 17th – PTA Meeting
- March 24th – PTA Meeting
- April 21st – Volunteer Opportunity Open House followed by PTA Meeting
- May 19th – PTA Meeting
We are so fortunate to have a wonderful Whittier Community. Thank you for all of your support!
Rita Brezina & Valerie Hardy (PTA Co-Presidents)
Tiffany Kuelthau & Debbie Levinthal (PTA Co-Vice Presidents)
Amy Ihde (PTA Secretary)
Corinne Potter (PTA Treasurer)
Thank You and Experiences Coming Soon!
Did you get your game on at the bags tournament? Model your moves on the dance floor at the Daddy Daughter Dance? Witness the wonder your little girl experienced at the “doll and me” tea party? Then you are sure to echo this huge THANK YOU to all of the families who have recently (and not-so-recently) hosted an experience for the children, adults, and families of the Whittier community.
The experiences you signed up for at (or after) the Jaguar Jog are coming to an end, but – rest assured – a new batch of experiences will be available for sign-up at the “LP4P” Spring Fundraiser being held on March 20. Expect to see some annual classics as well as some new and exciting events on the list!
Please consider being a part of making these experiences possible. Here’s how you can help!
- Share your ideas for possible experiences
- Volunteer to help plan and/or run an experience event
- Volunteer to help fund an experience
Student Council Update:
Thank you from the Daughter Dance Committee
Thank you to all who attended the Father Daughter Dance! Keep an eye out for Picture Souvenirs, they will be sent home in backpacks in the next couple weeks. A big shout out goes to Cecilia Moy for decorating the gym. It was adorable. Thank you Cecilia!
Market Day pick-up is this Thursday, Feb. 12 at 1:45 p.m. in the Jaguar Jungle. If you are unable to pick up at this time, please let us know and we will store your items in the freezer at school. If you have any questions please contact Kellie Miller at (812) 204-4384 or Amy Gassen at (630) 971-0689.
Reading Room Teacher Conferences
Parent/Teacher conferences are this week. Mrs. Gergits, Reading Specialist, will be available those evenings if you would like to speak with her about your child’s reading progress or to help explain district assessment results. Please email to schedule a convenient time. firstname.lastname@example.org
The Family Fun committee is hosting a free event at Sky High Sports Trampoline Park in Naperville on Thursday, February 19th from 6:00-8:00pm. Go to the link below to register your family now.
Our next Spring Fundraiser Planning meeting will be Monday, February 16th 7-9pm.
We will meet at the DG library in Room 4
Kindergarten Registration is open for the 2015 /2016 school year. To register, please call Whittier’s front office at (630) 719-5865. Even if you are an existing Whittier family and completed the registration online in previous years, you still need to let the office know you have a soon-to-be kindergartner. Please spread the word and tell your neighbors with in-coming kindergartners to call the school as well.
**Date and Time Change: Kindergarten Round-Up will be Friday, April 10, 2015 at 9:00-10:00 in the Jaguar Gym.
Outstanding Teacher Award
- Tuesday, February 10: WRECK Begins
- Wednesday, February 11: Conferences, Regular School Attendance Day
- Thursday, February 12: Conferences, Regular School Attendance Day
- Thursday, February 12: Market Day Pick-up
- Friday, February 13: Potbelly Fun Lunch
- Monday, February 16: No School, Presidents’ Day
- Thursday, February 19: Family Fun Sky High Sports Trampoline Park Event
- Friday, February 20: Student Council, Blackhawks Day
- Monday, February 23: Science Night
- Friday, February 27: No School, Teacher Institute Day
- Friday, March 6: Brown’s Chicken Fun Lunch
- Friday, March 20: Buona Beef Fun Lunch
- Friday, March 20: Spring Fundraiser
- Monday, March 30 – Monday, April 6: No School, Spring Break
- Tuesday, April 7: Classes Resume
- Friday, April 10: Kindergarten Round-Up
- Friday, April 10: Skuddlebutts Fun Lunch
- Friday, April 24: McDonald’s Fun Lunch
- Friday, May 8: Great American Bagel Fun Lunch
- Monday, May 25: No School, Memorial Day
- Wednesday, June 3: Last Day of School if no emergency days are used
- *Wednesday, June 10: Last Day of School
- *June 4-June 10 are emergency days and may be declared holidays if not needed