This week at Whittier: August 26, 2014
“Routine is liberating, it makes you feel in control.” – Carol Shields, The Republic of Love
Pack a lunch. Rush the kids to school. Help with homework. Drive the activity carpool. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat. It may be hectic but hopefully it’s at least predictably so.
With school officially back in session, consider making the Whittier PTA part of your routine. How can you do this?
- Remember to check the Whittier Weekly each Tuesday to find out what’s happening.
- Mark your calendar to attend the first PTA meeting of the year on September 16 at 7:00 p.m. in the Jaguar Jungle (gym) at Whittier. Free babysitting is provided during all monthly PTA meetings. After the September meeting, plan to head over to Emmett’s in downtown Downers Grove to celebrate the start of the school year with other PTA members.
- Complete the online PTA packet to become a PTA member for 2014-2015 and to note your interest in serving as a room parent or on specific PTA committees this year. Click on the following link to access the PTA packet: https://whittierschoolpta.org/references/join-our-pta/.
We are so fortunate to have a wonderful Whittier Community. Thank you!
Whittier School PTA Executive Committee
Co-Presidents: Rita Brezina & Valerie Hardy
Co-Vice Presidents: Tiffany Kuelthau & Debbie Levinthal
Secretary: Amy Ihde
Treasurer: Corinne Potter
Fun Lunch, Form and Volunteers Needed!
The first Fun Lunch of the year will be Friday, Sept. 12. Please download the Fun Lunch Form for the first half of the 2014-2015 school year. Please be sure to submit your completed form(s) – one per child in grades 1 through 6 – along with payment (checks payable to Whittier PTA) by September 5th. Please place the form(s) along with your payment in a sealed envelope labeled FUN LUNCH.
Now that the school year has begun, you may turn your Fun Lunch order form(s) and payment in by sending them to school in your child’s take-home folder or by dropping it off in the PTA box in the main office at Whittier.
FUN LUNCH VOLUNTEERS NEEDED! For each Fun Lunch date, 8 parent volunteers are needed. To sign up to help at Fun Lunch on September 12 or any of the other Fun Lunch dates between now and January, please click on the following link: https://whittierschoolpta.org/volunteering/fun-lunch/
You must be a registered user on the PTA website in order to use the online sign-up form. If you need help accessing your account, please visit https://whittierschoolpta.org/manage-my-account/.
If you have questions about the Fun Lunch program, please contact:
Paula Schultz firstname.lastname@example.org
Amy Toth email@example.com.
Jaguar Jog – Registration is now OPEN!!
Register now for the annual Whittier School Fun Run – The Jaguar Jog – taking place on Sunday, September 28! The 1 mile kids’ only fun run and the 5k race are a great opportunity to promote fitness and school spirit! Please visit https://whittierschoolpta.org/jaguar-jog-registration/ and register by September 10 to be guaranteed a race t-shirt!
Don’t want to participate in the run? That’s fine! Come out to support the school and cheer on the runners! This is a super fun morning for the whole family to mingle with other Whittier families. The event will also feature:
- The opportunity to sign up for exciting Experiences (events for Whittier adults, families, and kids throughout the first half of the school year).
- The Grand Raffle drawing – Tickets are on sale now via the registration website! 1st Prize – A week’s stay in one of many vacation club locations throughout the U.S., Mexico, and the Carribean through Travel Advantage Network – You get to choose and schedule; 2nd Prize – Go Pro Camera; 3rd Prize – $100 Cash.
- Post-Race Party at Gattos! Take your family out to celebrate with lunch and drink specials available immediately following the awards. All are welcome!!
- Purchase a t-shirt for $10 to show your support! They also work great for Whittier Spirit Days!
Would you like to help plan this event? Please join us tonight at 7:30pm at Corinne Potter’s house for a Jaguar Jog Committee Meeting! If you cannot attend the meeting but would still like to help – please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Do you have a connection to a business or organization who would like to sponsor the Jog? We need your help! All donations will directly benefit the children at Whittier School! We have several levels of sponsorship available – please contact us for details!
Questions? Please contact Chie Nicholson and Corinne Potter at email@example.com
Show your Jaguar Pride! Check out the NEW Whittier Wear collection – There are new logos, tie dye shirts, hoodies, skull hats, cinch sacks (mesh siding — think about all that wet winter gear) and more! The Whittier Wear on-line store will be open August 22nd to September 7th, so be sure to check it out!! The link to our store is www.zimmzang.com/Whittier.
Summer Math Club Update
Students can turn Summer Math Club packets in to school Monday, August 25 though Wednesday, August 27th. The teachers will turn them into the office and we will collect, grade and distribute prices accordingly. Any questions, contact Deb Loughman, deborahloughman@
Language Stars Before School Spanish Program
Language Stars early enrollment 2014-15 starts September 8, 2014 and runs before school on Mondays from 7:40-8:20. Register online atwww.LanguageStarsAtSchool.com or call 866-55-STARS.
Keep an eye out during the first week of school for information about this year’s Whittier variety show. Information will be sent home with the kids AND parents will be able to access the documents on the Variety Show page on the PTA website. Get a jump start and encourage your kids to start thinking about what they want to perform on the Tivoli stage….This year is going to be AWESOME
In a show of “Team Whittier” solidarity and bravery, yesterday afternoon the Whittier staff took on the ALS Ice Bucket Challenges received by Mrs. Krygeris and Mrs. Jurinek. Now, the Team Whittier staff challenged the Whittier students to do the ALS Challenge on Wednesday afternoon (~2:40) on the intermediate playground. Instead of ice buckets, the students will receive a cup of water to use for their challenge. Donations for ALS (Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), often referred to as “Lou Gehrig’s Disease) will be accepted by Whittier’s Student Council through Friday, August 29th. If your child wishes to send in a donation of any amount for ALS, please send it in an envelope with his/her name and classroom teacher on it. As an added incentive, the student donating the highest amount by Wednesday will challenge Mr. Krugman to the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge following the students’ challenge. Whittier Student Council will send the donations received to ALS. Thank you for your support of ALS and Whittier Student Council! We’re wondering who Mr. Krugman will challenge? Stay tuned!
Market Day Is Back!
Mark Your Calendars
- Tuesday, August 26: Jaguar Jog Committee Meeting
- Wednesday, August 27: ALS Challenge
- Thursday, September 4: Curriculum Night
- Friday, September 5: Fun Lunch Forms and Payment Due
- Monday, September 8: Market Day Orders Due
- Friday, September 12: First Fun Lunch of the Year
- Tuesday, September 16: PTA Meeting and Kickoff Social
- Sunday, September 28: Jaguar Jog