Today,Tuesday August 25
Back to School Social at 2:30!Meet new friends and say hello to old friends! The PTA will provide popsicles on the playground for this relaxed welcome back to school event for the entire family!
Kindergarten Supply Drop-Off! If you have an incoming kindergartener, Meet Mrs. Plepel and drop-off your school supplies from 2:00-3:00
New Family Tour! The New Family Tour for new families to Whittier will begin at 3:00pm on Tuesday, August 25. We will meet in the school gym.
Tomorrow, Wednesday August 26
Classes will begin tomorrow, Wednesday, August 26 for all students. Students will attend a full day of school.
- AM Kindergarten hours are 8:20-11:05am
- PM Kindergarten hours are 12:10-2:55pm
- Hours for students in Grades 1-6 are 8:20am-2:55pm.
- Jaguar Jog – Mark your calendar for the Jog on September 20th
- Whittier Experience – Toga Party
- Family Fun Night at Culver’s on Monday, August 31
- Summer Math Club
- Reach for the Stars PTA Playground Fundraiser
- Variety Show
- Fun Lunch – new process makes the ordering process easier
- Language Stars Program Information
- Reflections – “Let Your Imagination Fly”
1. Jaguar Jog
Host or co-host an experience
Have a great idea for an experience? Contact Rita Brezina, firstname.lastname@example.org t
Sponsor an intersection
Show your Whittier spirit by decorating an intersection! Your donation will help cover the operating budget of the race. You can do as much or as little as you want with your intersection–let your imagination “RUN” wild! Each intersection will have a sign thanking the sponsor(s). At the end of the run, participants will vote for their favorite intersection! Contact Suzy Ennis email@example.com with questions. Or reserve your intersection when you register!
Make a monetary donation
Sponsorship opportunities are available to businesses and families who would like to support the Jaguar Jog.
****Please contact Amy Cable at firstname.lastname@example.org
2. Whittier Experience – Toga Party
It’s not too late to sign up for the toga party this Friday at 7:30! $30 per person at The Toth House, 5307 Cumnor Road. Heavy appetizers, beverages and a GREEK time provided.
This is an adult only party. All funds raised go to support our PTA
3. Family Night at Culver’s on Monday, August 31st
4. Summer Math Club reminder
If your child has any Summer Math Club packets that need to be turned in, he or she can turn the packets in during the first three days of school. Your child’s teacher will take them and pass them onto the PTA. We will pass out prizes for completion in a couple of weeks.
Thank you for participating in Summer Math Club. Any questions contact Katie Main (email@example.com).
5. Reach for the Stars fundraiser kick-off!
We will kick off our Reach for the Stars program on Friday! This is a pledge-based reading incentive program with 100% of the pledges coming back to our school, your child, and your teacher in the form of FREE books and cash for the playground fund. Here is the breakdown:
- 40% of the pledges enables your child to get free books
- 10% of the pledges goes to your child’s teacher in the form of free books for his/her classroom
- 50% of the pledges goes to the playground fund in cash
Your child is bring will bring home a calendar and reading journal so you can keep up with the minutes they read each day…be sure to go over the information with your child when the packet comes home. The goal of the program is to read 300 minutes over a 2 week period. (Regular nightly reading counts.) Have your child begin recording minutes and seeking pledges. The pledges should be FLAT DONATIONS, NOT per minute pledges. Every child who raises at least $100, $200 and $300 in pledges will receive additional rewards!
The student who raises the most money gets a $100 in additional books of his/her choice…on top of the free books he or she will already be getting.
6. Variety Show
School performance is Friday, November 6th and the Tivoli performance is Saturday, November 14th!
Please note: Variety Show Tech Rehearsal has been moved to Tuesday, October 27 from 3:00-6:00. This is a mandatory rehearsal for all Variety Show participants.
7. Fun Lunch Purchase School Lunches Online: Ordering lunches has never been easier!
Whittier Elementary School has partnered with orderlunches.com to provide a secure, fast, and easy-to-use online ordering system that allows parents to view our Fun lunch menu, order, prepay and manage student Fun lunches on the web.
Registration and Ordering starts on: 8/1
Important Note Before You Begin:
IF you are eligible for free meals, Please contact Leslie at firstname.lastname@example.org or 6
Go To: www.orderlunches.com – (please bookmark this page)
- Click on Register: Password is: WES338, add account, profile(s) information
- Sign In & the Welcome page displays with Program Info (Order Schedule, Rules etc.)
- Click Order at Top of Nav Bar & go to proper month
- Click the Order link on the date to begin – First Lunch Date is: 9/18
- Check out & pay – Please be sure to complete the check-out process. Do not close your browser prior to receiving the confirmation display or your order may be interrupted and not fully processed. Items left in your shopping cart will not be processed and your order will not be placed.
FOOD or POLICY (Missed/Late Orders, Credits, and Changes/Cancellations): email Cheri at email@example.com
TECHNICAL SUPPORT (help navigating the site): email support@orderlunc
PAYMENT INFORMATION The program accepts payment by Debit Card or Credit Card: Visa, MasterCard & Discover.
Be sure to proceed to checkout and process your payment. Orders that are left in the shopping cart will NOT be processed and your student(s) will not be included in the lunch service.
Fun Lunch FAQ and Ordering Process
Thank you for participating in our school lunch program!
8. Language Schools Before School Program Information
Language Stars and Whittier have partnered to offer Spanish classes, as well as French classes, before school from 7:40-8:20 one day a week. A minimum of 10 students are needed for enrollment.
If you have any questions, please contact Denise Llewellyn at 773.339.1820 or llewdenise@
This is a pay-to-participate activity.
Please see below for more information.
The PTA Reflections theme for 2015-16 has been announced: “Let Your Imagination Fly…” Students may begin brainstorming and creating their projects over the summer to get a head start on Reflections for next year!
PTA Reflections welcomes all grades and abilities to explore and be involved in the arts. Students are asked to reflect the theme and create original works of art in the categories of:
- dance choreography
- film production
- music composition
- visual arts
Entries may be turned in anytime from Sept through early Nov. More specific dates will be announced next school year. Students can go to the National PTA website for specific rules.
*If your student(s) no longer attend Whittier School, please reply and we’ll promptly remove you from our email list.
Thank you for all you do,
Tiffany Kuelthau & Debbie Levinthal (PTA C0-Presidents)
Carla Giannelli & Karrie Donat (PTA C0-Vice Presidents)
Amy Ihde (PTA Secretary)
Corinne Potter (PTA Treasurer)
Mark Your Calendars
- Tuesday, August 25, 2015: Kindergarten Supply Drop Off 2:00
- Tuesday, August 25, 2015: Back to School Social 2:30
- Tuesday, August 25, 2015: New Family School Tour 3:00
- Wednesday, August 26, 2015: First Day of School – Full Day
- Monday, August 31, 2015: Family Fun Night at Culver’s
- Thursday, September 3, 2015: Curriculum Night, time is TBD, this is an adult only event
- Monday, September 7, 2015: Labor Day, No School
- Tuesday, September 15, 2015: General PTA Meeting
- Friday, September 18, 2015: Variety Show Rehearsal 3:00-4:00
- Sunday, September 20, 2015: Jaguar Jog
- Friday, September 25, 2015: Variety Show Rehearsal 3:00-4:00
- Friday, October 2, 2015: Variety Show Rehearsal 3:00-4:00
- Friday, October 9, 2015: Variety Show Rehearsal 3:00-4:00
- Monday, October 12, 2015: Columbus Day, No School
- Tuesday, October 13, 2015: Teachers Institute No School
- Friday, October 16, 2015: Variety Show Rehearsal 3:00-4:00
- Tuesday, October 20, 2015: General PTA Meeting
- Friday, October 23, 2015: Variety Show Rehearsal 3:00-4:00
- Tuesday, October 27, 2015: Variety Show TECH Rehearsal 3:00-6:00 MANDATORY
- Tuesday, November 3, 2015: Variety Show Stage Crew Dry Run 3:00-5:00 MANDATORY
- Wednesday, November 4, 2015: Variety Show Dress Rehearsal 3:00-6:00 MANDATORY
- Friday, November 6, 2015: Variety Show School Performance
- Thursday, November 12, 2015: Variety Show Tivoli Rehearsal 3:00-5:00 MANDATORY
- Saturday, November 14, 2015: Variety Show at the Tivoli
- Tuesday, November 24, 2015 – Friday, November 27, 2015: Thanksgiving Holiday, No School
- Tuesday, December 8, 2015: General PTA Meeting
- Monday, December 21, 2015 – Sunday, January 3, 2016: Winter Break, No School
- Monday, January 18, 2016: Martin Luther King Day, No School
- Tuesday, January 19, 2016: General PTA Meeting
- Friday, February 12, 2016: No School
- Tuesday, February 16, 2016: General PTA Meeting
- Friday, March 4, 2016: Teacher Inservice, No School
- Tuesday, March 15, 2016: General PTA Meeting
- Friday, March 25, 2016 – Sunday, April 3, 2016: Spring Break, No School
- Tuesday, April 19, 2016: General PTA Meeting
- Tuesday, May 17, 2016: General PTA Meeting
- Monday, May 30, 2016: Memorial Day, No School
- *Friday, June 3, 2016: Last Day of School
- *June 6 – June 10 possible emergency days