“Research has shown that people who volunteer often live longer.”
– Allen Klein
Find out what volunteer opportunities are available through the Whittier PTA at tonight’s Volunteer Fair and general PTA meeting. Beginning at 7:00 p.m. in the Jaguar Jungle (gym), PTA members and prospective members for next year may informally explore the many volunteer opportunities available while mingling with others also interested in getting involved – or further involved – in the PTA.
Can’t make the meeting tonight but want to know what volunteer opportunities are out there? Check out the PTA Volunteer Opportunity Guidebook attached here.Opportunities to Volunteer through the Whittier School PTA Guidebook FINAL
Please do try to make it to the PTA meeting tonight that will immediately follow the Volunteer Fair portion of the meeting, however, as it will be chockfull of information. Many items are also up for vote tonight such as:
- The vice presidential candidates slated for next year’s PTA executive committee
- Revisions to the Whittier PTA’s bylaws (see attached for the proposed bylaw updates)FINAL REVISED Whittier PTA Bylaws with Revisions for 032415 meeting (1)
- Funding for the Green Team’s school beautification proposal
- Destination ImagiNation funding to help offset costs incurred by the three Whittier teams advancing to the Global Finals tournament
The 2015-2016 PTA budget will also be proposed at this evening’s meeting.
FREE babysitting will be available during both the Volunteer Fair and the general PTA meeting. There are always two 6th grade students who serve as babysitters in the art/activities room for the duration of each PTA meeting.
Upcoming PTA Meeting Dates:
- April 21 @ 7:00 p.m. at Whittier (Jaguar Jungle) – PTA Volunteer Fair / Monthly PTA General Membership Meeting
- May 19 @ 7:00 p.m. at Whittier (Jaguar Jungle) – Final Monthly PTA General Membership Meeting of the Year
We are so fortunate to have a wonderful Whittier Community. Thank you for all of your support!
Rita Brezina & Valerie Hardy (PTA Co-Presidents)
Tiffany Kuelthau & Debbie Levinthal (PTA Co-Vice Presidents)
Amy Ihde (PTA Secretary)
Corinne Potter (PTA Treasurer)
McTeacher Night Wednesday, April 22
Sorry for the short notice!! The Family Fun Committee is hosting our annual McTeacher Night at McDonalds on Ogden Ave just East of Fairview on Wednesday, April 22nd from 4:00-8:00pm. McDonalds will donate 10% percent of all sales between the hours of 4-8pm back to the Whittier Family Fun Committee. This event is a favorite for the students because they may see their favorite teacher or staffer taking their order, making an ice cream cone or fries! So grab your family and head to McDonalds on Wednesday, April 22nd. Look for a flyer to come home in your child’s backpack. No flyer necessary at time of purchase. Hope to see you there!
If you have any questions, please contact: Shannon Quinn 1-630-484-1003.
Savers Playground Fundraiser
Just in time for Spring Cleaning, Savers is partnering with Whittier to help raise funds for the Primary Playground. Whittier will receive $0.20 for every pound of donations. Please collect any gently used clothing, shoes, accessories and linens that you would normally donate and drop off donations at Whittier before or after school the week of May 11th (morning only on May 15th). Volunteers will be at the North/West corner of Whittier grounds on Blodgett to collect donations. Contact Pamela McGinn at email@example.com to schedule an earlier drop off. Thank you for your support!
Playground Fundraising Strategy Development Meeting
Interested in helping develop a strategy for raising funds for the playground? Then please attend the playground funding strategy meeting 7pm on Wednesday, April 29th at the DG Public Library (room TBD). Can’t make it but still want to help…have questions or suggestions? contact Melissa Rausch firstname.lastname@example.org
Destination Imagination Global Finals Fundraiser – Bake Sale
Congratulations to the three Whittier Teams that are advancing to the Global Finals Competition on May 20th-23rd in Knoxville Tennessee – Team Imagination Volcanos, That One Team, and DI Donuts!!!
This competition is expected to cost each student attending approximately $1,000 and they would appreciate any support you could give to them.
Student Council Update
Experience Sign-Ups – Last Call!
Thank you to everyone who has signed up for experience events for the LP4P Spring Fundraiser! The following experiences are still open for registration: Events for Children
- Scavenger Hunt – May 17th from 3-4pm. Cost is $10 per participant. Open to K-6th grade
- Fair Game Party – April 27th from 4-6pm. Cost is $15 per participant. Open to 4th-6th grade.
- Mother’s Day Craft – May 6th from 3-4 pm. Cost: $10 per participant. Open to K-6th grade.
- Ultimate Frisbee – April 28th(*Rain Date: May 5th) from 3-4:45 pm. Cost is $15 per participant. Open to 1st-6th grade.
Events for Families
- Mother/Daughter Fun Night – May 7th from 6:30-8 pm. Cost is $30 per mother/daughter pair. Open to K-6th grade.
- Father/Son Fun Night – June 2nd from 5-7pm. Cost is $20/father-son pair, $5 more per additional son. Open to K-6th grade.
Events for Adults Only
- Toga Party – August 28th at 7:30 pm. Cost is $30 per participant.
Email email@example.com to sign up!
If you are in need of spirit wear for your students the Whittier Wear committee has a variety of t-shirts available for sale. Look for our online store to open again later this month but we do have tie dye shirts, a girls short sleeve design and others available for immediate sale. Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org if interested. Prices vary
- Wednesday, April 22: McTeacher Night
- Friday, April 24: McDonald’s Fun Lunch
- Thursday, April 30: DI Bake Sale
- Thursday, April 30: All School Open House
- Friday, May 8: Great American Bagel Fun Lunch
- Monday, May 25: No School, Memorial Day
- Wednesday, June 3: Last Day of School if no emergency days are used
- *Wednesday, June 10: Last Day of School
- *June 4-June 10 are emergency days and may be declared holidays if not needed