“Education is teaching our children to desire the right things.”
- TONIGHT 4/18 – 5th & 6th Grade Orchestra Spring Concert @ Herrick Middle School 7:00pm
- Wed 4/19 – Author Fest @ Hillcrest Elementary – 7-8:30pm (details below)
- Thu 4/20 – Fun Lunch – Kindergarten ONLY
- Fri 4/21 – Blue & Gold Spirit Day – Show your school spirit in Whittier wear or school colors!
- Fri 4/21 – Fun Lunch – Grades 1-6
- Fri 4/21 – Author Fest Book Signing @ DG Public Library – 6-8pm (details below)
- Jaguar Jog
- Book Fair Next Week
- Lost and Found : Eyeglasses
- Spring Experiences
- Author Fest
- Committee Chairs Needed!
- Walking Club Volunteer Request
- Learning Lab Donation Request
- Primary Playground Donations – Final Week!
- DGJWC Handmade Market
Per State of IL PTA guidelines we are required to review the Whittier PTA Bylaws every other year. A committee selected by our PTA carried out the review and made a couple of minor changes for clarification purposes. You can view these changes by connecting to the document via the link provided. An opportunity to ask questions or get further clarification will be available at our next general PTA meeting on April 23 @ 7 in the LRC. The changes will be voted on at our May 16 general meeting.
Link to Page
Link to Document Only
2. Jaguar Jog
Yes it is that time of year to start thinking of…the Jaguar Jog!!!
Looking for for people to join our 2017 Jaguar Jog committee!!
The Jaguar Jog will take place on Sunday, September 17th and the planning has already begun! This is one of the biggest fundraisers of the year! We need your help to make it successful.
Our kick off meeting will take place Tuesday, May 2nd at 7:30pm. Please join us at 326 5th St. If you cannot make it but would like to volunteer please email email@example.com
3. Book Fair Next Week
All proceeds benefit the Whittier LRC.
April 25, Tuesday 3-5 p.m.
April 26, Wednesday 3-8 p.m.
April 27, Thursday 3-8 p.m.
See you there!
Also, there are still a few slots needed to be filled for volunteering @ the Fair: Wed the 26th from 4-5pm, and Thu the 27th from 5-6pm. Please sign up HERE if you can contribute an hour of your time. Thank you!
Your bookfair co-chairs,
Kelly Coleman and Denise & Scott Lazar
4. Lost and Found : Eyeglasses
A pair of brown/blue framed eyeglasses were found at the Legion Hall the night of the spring fundraiser. CLICK HERE for a picture.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if they are yours!
5. Spring Experiences
Invoices will be sent home this week via backpack mail. If you have any questions or have an error, please contact Carla Giannelli.
The following experiences still have spots available, sign up today!
Running Club – $30 per student (4/21-5/26 3 p.m. to 3:45 p.m.)
Family Game Night – $20 per family (4/24 5:30 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.)
Father/Son Westmont Yard Fun – $20 per student (5/5 at 6:30 p.m.)
Rising Goddess Fitness – $20 per adult (5/20 2 p.m. and 3:15 p.m. openings)
NEW: Rising Goddess Fitness Ariel Hammocks Class – Kids 8 and up (5/20 at 3:14 p.m.)
Family Movie Night – $30 per family (6/10 at 7 p.m.) – 12 spots left
Please email Carla Giannelli at email@example.com for more information or to sign up!
6. Author Fest
Whittier is delighted to host authors Miriam Busch (Grades K-4th) and Chris Rylander (Grades 5th-6th) on April 19th and 21st for the bi-annual PTA Author’s Fest event. Our authors will be speaking to all grade levels, discussing their many published works and talking to our children about writing, books, and how they do the work they love. This is for students only.
Additionally, during Author’s Fest week, we will have two programs open to everyone in the community:
- Building Bridges and the DG Area Council of PTAs Author Fest Team present two special guest speakers (including a local author) to discuss using books with children of all ages and ranges of ability, especially those with special needs on Wednesday, April 19th from 7 – 8:30 at Hillcrest Elementary School
- Author Fest Book signing, featuring SIX authors available for a meet & greet and to sign books, on Friday, April 21st from 6 – 8pm at the Downers Grove Public Library Anderson’s Bookshop will be selling books at the library. A portion of the sales benefits the PTA Council.
For more information please contact Michelle Hansen at firstname.lastname@example.org
7. Committee Chairs Needed!
We still need volunteers to chair or co-chair committees for the 2017-2018 school year. Please read the attached document with descriptions and time commitments for the current open committees. Email Carla Giannelli for more information at email@example.com. Thank you!
Open Committees 2017
8. Walking Club Volunteer Request
Walking club needs volunteers! Only half the volunteers needed are filled for tomorrow the 19th, and many slots are vacant for future dates. Volunteers arrive at 11:30, sign in at the front office, and pick up a guest sticker to wear. Instructions, grade assignments, door location, and “Cat Cash” to distribute to walkers are given out in the front hallway. You will be done at 12:20. Please use this link to sign up – we can’t do this without your help!
9. Learning Lab Donation Request
The Learning Lab is once again collecting empty toilet paper and paper towel tubes for our upcoming EXPLORE classes! The collection box will be available through the month of April in the front vestibule. Thank you for taking the time to save these items!
10. Primary Playground Donations – Final Week!
11. DGJWC Handmade Market
The Downers Grove Junior Woman’s Club is hosting a Handmade Market (craft show) being held at O’Neill Middle School on Saturday, April 29 from 9 a.m. – 3 p.m. The DGJWC uses funds raised to support various philanthropic initiatives including scholarships for Downers Grove students!