“Treat a child as though he already is the person he’s capable of becoming.”
– Haim Ginott
- Fri 4/14 – NO SCHOOL
- Spring Experiences
- Author Fest
- Committee Chairs Needed!
- Walking Club Volunteer Request
- Book Fair Volunteer Request
- Learning Lab Donation Request
- Primary Playground
- DGJWC Handmade Market
1. Spring Experiences
The following experiences still have spots available, sign up today!
Running Club – $30 per student (4/21-5/26 3 p.m. to 3:45 p.m.)
Family Game Night – $20 per family (4/24 5:30 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.)
Spenga – $30 per person (4/30 at 4 p.m.)
Father/Son Westmont Yard Fun – $20 per student (5/5 at 6:30 p.m.)
Rising Goddess Fitness – $20 per adult (May 20th 2 p.m. and 3:15 p.m. openings)
Family Movie Night – $30 per family (6/10 at 7 p.m.) – 12 spots left
Friendly Flocking – $25 – just a few spots left!
Please email Carla Giannelli at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information or to sign up!
2. Author Fest
Whittier is delighted to host authors Miriam Busch (Grades K-4th) and Chris Rylander (Grades 5th-6th) on April 19th and 21st for the bi-annual PTA Author’s Fest event. Our authors will be speaking to all grade levels, discussing their many published works and talking to our children about writing, books, and how they do the work they love. This is for students only.
Additionally, during Author’s Fest week, we will have two programs open to everyone in the community:
- Building Bridges and the DG Area Council of PTAs Author Fest Team present two special guest speakers (including a local author) to discuss using books with children of all ages and ranges of ability, especially those with special needs on Wednesday, April 19thfrom 7 – 8:30 at Hillcrest Elementary School
- Author Fest Book signing, featuring SIX authors available for a meet & greet and to sign books, on Friday, April 21stfrom 6 – 8pm at the Downers Grove Public Library Anderson’s Bookshop will be selling books at the library. A portion of the sales benefits the PTA Council.
For more information please contact Michelle Hansen at email@example.com
3. Committee Chairs Still Needed!
We still need volunteers to chair or co-chair committees for the 2017-2018 school year. Please read the attached document with descriptions and time commitments for the current open committees. Email Carla Giannelli for more information at firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you!
Open Committees 2017
4. Walking Club Volunteer Request
Walking club needs volunteers! There is still ONE SLOT open for tomorrow the 12th, as well as many available slots for future dates. Volunteers arrive at 11:30, sign in at the front office, and pick up a guest sticker to wear. Instructions, grade assignments, door location, and “Cat Cash” to distribute to walkers are given out in the front hallway. You will be done at 12:20. Please use this link to sign up – we can’t do this without your help!
5. Book Fair Volunteer Request
Bookfair is coming soon and we’re looking for your help to sell books! We’re holding the Spring Bookfair around/during Whittier’s Spring Open House — April 25, 26 and 27. Please consider volunteering an hour of your time!
CLICK HERE to sign up online.
6. Learning Lab Donation Request
The Learning Lab is once again collecting empty toilet paper and paper towel tubes for our upcoming EXPLORE classes! The collection box will be available through the month of April in the front vestibule. Thank you for taking the time to save these items!
7. Primary Playground
8. DGJWC Handmade Market
The Downers Grove Junior Woman’s Club is hosting a Handmade Market (craft show) being held at O’Neill Middle School on Saturday, April 29 from 9 a.m. – 3 p.m. The DGJWC uses funds raised to support various philanthropic initiatives including scholarships for Downers Grove students!