We hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving! Please find many important events for our school and community listed below!
Whittier Variety Show – Sign-Up for your Act’s Picture
- Per the recent handout that went home regarding the meeting this Friday, groups do NOT need to be present the entire time, only the specific 15 min time slot you’ve signed up for in advance. Come to the LRC during your time slot only. There is limited space and we cannot accommodate everyone at once.
- If your entire group cannot make it to the meeting on Friday, there is no need to come. Please contact us and let us know when we can meet your group during a practice and take any photos.
- If you are an emcee or stage crew only (not also in an act) or you are an emcee or stage crew and in an act, but your group did not sign up for group act photos, please come to the LRC immediately at 3pm for your individual photo. If you are in an act and signed up for a group photo, we will get your individual photo at that time.
Thank you for your cooperation. Please let us know if you have any questions at firstname.lastname@example.org
PTA Meeting – Next Week, Tuesday, December 10, 7 PM at the Whittier Library
Please join us for our last PTA Meeting of 2019, which includes Superintendent Russell and our 4th Grade Teachers as Guest Speakers. Babysitting available for meeting attendees!
Family Fun Night – Wednesday, December 11, 10:30am – 9:00pm
Join us for our next Family Fun Night as MOD Pizza of Downers Grove, on Ogden Avenue, will donate 20% of sales to Whittier when guests indicate they are there to support Whittier – no flyer needed! Please note that Online, phone orders, and gift-cards are excluded from the donation.
Mittens Program – Now Open
It’s the season for giving and a time to spread holiday cheer! Every year our PTA works with Mr. Krugman to collect holiday wish lists for our Whittier Angel families. This is a wonderful opportunity to help make the holidays a little brighter for some our Whittier friends and neighbors ❤️
HOW DO I HELP?
-Starting today, you can pull a paper mitten from the vestibule in the main entrance at school. Details of a Whittier child’s or family member’s holiday wish will be on the mitten.
-Have fun shopping with your family for the items on your mitten!
-While there’s no limit on your generosity and how much you decide to donate, we are suggesting a maximum of $40 per wish list item
-Deliver the unwrapped gifts to the main office no later than the end of the school day, MONDAY, DECEMBER 16th. We will then sort the gifts accordingly and provide parents with gift wrapping supplies. Be sure to keep your dropped off items covered so students don’t see in case they are a recipient. Please include the mitten with item details with your donation.
Contact Laura Hill or Joanne Brock if you have any questions! Every year our Angel families are overwhelmed with our community’s generosity and giving spirit with this continued program. Thank you in advance to those who are able to participate!”
SAVE the DATE for our 2020 Spring Fundraiser – Friday, February 7th, 2020
As you may have seen in the backpack flyer, we are excited to announce our Spring Fundraiser, which will be held at Neat Bar and Kitchen in Westmont.
Do you or your family/friends own a business that would want to create meaningful impact right here in our Whittier community? We are looking for additional businesses and families who would be willing to donate funds or items to help make our event a success in return for your business to be featured in our marketing materials (AKA free marketing).
Contact Cindy Maquet at email@example.com for more info or any questions you may have.
Read to Succeed
Read To Succeed is a free program that allows students in grades K-6 to earn tickets to Six Flags Great America just by reading six hours for fun.Whittier students have the chance to participate by reading at home. The program will run from December 11th to January 11th. New this year, all recording is online.
Here is how your child can earn a free ticket to Six Flags:
1) Visit sixflags.com/books and register using this link: 31FJD
2) Your child may read any books they choose.
3) Keep track of your child’s reading using the form below.
4) Record your child’s reading using the SixFlags.com/books website. (Bookmark this site for easier record keeping. 5) Receive a free Six Flags Great America ticket from Whittier Elementary School in May.
Students can optionally earn bonus awards by reading more than six hours such as discounts on additional tickets for family members, Season Passes or Memberships.
- Only students in grades K through 6 are eligible to participate.
- Your child must complete 6 hours, or 360 minutes, of recreational reading.
- Your child can read books, magazines, newspapers, or comic books (digital or hard copy). Reading for homework or a class assignment does NOT count.
- Students can read silently, aloud, or with an adult—you can read to your child or your child can read to you.
If you have questions, feel free to email Mrs. Gergits, firstname.lastname@example.org
Chess Scholars announces Winter Session!
Is your child looking for a fun after school activitiy, which takes place right at Whittier? Chess Scholars may be for them!
No previous knowledge of chess is necessary. Each class will consist of a fun, interactive teaching period and guided practice time. Both beginner and experienced players are welcome and will get to the next level under the guidance of an experienced Chess Scholars coach. There will also be a chess competition with prizes at the end of the session!
Course Time: Thursdays, January 23rd – March 19th, 3:00 PM – 4:00 PM (9 Classes) To sign up for chess, please visit https://www.learningmeansfun.com/signup. You will need to enter the course code WDG1.23.20 to register. Please register by 10pm PST on 1/15 for the early bird price of $123.00. If you have difficulty registering, please contact Afterschool Enrichment Solutions at 847-482-9999 or email@example.com