You spoke, We listened!
Our 2022 School of Excellence survey showed that Whittier parents/guardians want more PTA-sponsored learning and sharing opportunities. A specific topic of interest was Internet/Digital Safety. Your PTA is hard at work organizing a series of engagement opportunities on Internet Safety for parents/guardians/staff!
Take a look below for more information and resources.
★ Upcoming Opportunities – Save the Date! ★
WHAT: A presentation for parents on internet safety by Detective Wistocki
WHEN: Wednesday, May 17th (location TBD).
WHO: Det. Wistocki is a child crime expert Detective Richard Wistocki has dedicated his career to helping children by tirelessly pursuing, apprehending and prosecuting child predators. As an active Cyber Crimes Detective he educates Law Enforcement using cutting edge investigative techniques and Parents and Students on responsible digital activity. More info HERE.
This event is hosted by the Downers Grove Area Council of PTAs to which Whittier Elementary PTA is a Member.
★ Digital Safety for Parents Webinar★
IL Attorney General, Internet Crimes Against Children Task Force (ICAC)
Thank you to all who attended this Webinar! Please see below for additional resources provided by the Illinois Attorney General Office (Internet Crimes Against Children Task Force). A recording of the webinar will be available shortly.
For more resources from ICAC office:
To report to the CyberTipline:
For sextortion hand-outs:
For media reviews and information:
ESRB Parental Control Guide:
FOSI Tips for Good Digital Parenting:
★ Other Internet Safety Resources ★
Below you will find a list of trusted organizations that provide information, guidance and tools on internet/digital safety for our children.
- National PTA (Be Internet Awesome): This page provides more information on our solutions for families and provides you with the tools to begin having conversations with your kids on how to safely and smartly navigate the internet and explore the world of online video.
- Illinois Attorney General (Online Safe, Online Smart): Parents often need support to help youth make responsible choices online and to understand the potential impact of their choice in the real world. The resources here are designed to keep you informed about new trends and threats so you can guide your child’s online experiences.
- Illinois PTA Juvenile Protection & Safety Program Ideas: A list of resources to ensure child safety and protection, including online.
- IL PTA (2021): Keeping Your Kids Safe Online – The Smart Talk and Parental Controls
- IL PTA (2020): Parents’ Guide to TikTok
- IL PTA (2019): Teaching Your Kids Safe Online
- Grit2: A local non-profit organization connecting local parents and teens with mental wellness education and support to help flourish in today’s world by connecting them and the community with information, tools and resources.
- ConnectSafely: A nonprofit organization dedicated to educating people about online safety, privacy, security and digital wellness. Resources include research-based safety tips, parents’ guidebooks, advice, news and commentary on all aspects of tech use and policy.
- ConnectSafely: A regular podcast featuring guests from education, social media companies, health care, mental health, and other fields. Topics include parenting and working from home, tips on technology tools and general discussions about the day’s pressing events and issues.
- Notes from the Backpack: The National PTA’s Podcast. Through the unique combination of expert, parent and educator guests, each episode features engaging conversations that offer real-life advice and ideas on how to support children’s learning and development—all in parent-friendly language.