[Afterschool Programs– sometimes called “Outside Programs” (because outside organizations host these opportunities at our school for a fee) currently include BAM Theatre, Chess Scholars, Young Rembrandts and Language Labs.]
Language Labs is offered by the Whittier PTA on a for-fee basis one day/week after school through the Language Labs organization. Parent/Guardian volunteers help liaise between the school and Language Labs for session scheduling and information distribution purposes. One PTA parent volunteer must also be present each week during sessions in order to assist with attendance and overall supervision.
Note: As a service to Whittier families, The Whittier PTA assists in coordinating logistics of this program at the school – the PTA does not set pricing nor does it make any $$ from program registration.
More info on The Language Labs Organization
- This is a unique method of teaching where no English -the minimum necessary- is spoken (only in cases of discipline or an emergency)
- This program helps children develop initial literacy in the immersion language, and then develop a complete understanding and fluency of the foreign language
- Research shows that a full immersion program not only teaches students a foreign language, but it strengthens their understanding of their native language as well
- Full Immersion shows students how to think globally, yet act locally – a mindset that is becoming more and more important these days
- The constant exposure to different cultures and languages inherently creates a depth of knowledge and understanding in children.